Apple Bluetooth

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
rukqoa

Apple Bluetooth

Post by rukqoa »

I have a MacBook. They have built-in bluetooth adapter. However, when in virtualbox, they do not seem to work.
1. The control panel does not have a "bluetooth devices" option.
2. There is no "service" called bluetooth or anything similar.
3. I have turned off bluetooth in mac.
4. It gives me this error:

Code: Select all

USB device 'Apple, Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller' with UUID {ceba7a86-f09d-4e2d-912c-f5bf32c8b683} is in use by someone else.

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
HostUSBDevice
Interface: 
IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: 
IConsole {e3c6d4a1-a935-47ca-b16d-f9e9c496e53e}
I conclude that bluetooth must still be used by mac, even though i have turned it off.
Is there a way to..
1. Disable bluetooth in mac temporarily.
2. Make VirtualBox steal the bluetooth from mac.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

You have to unload any BT modules on your Mac if you want it to stop using it. If that's not possible, you might want to buy a USB BT dongle for your VM.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Type17
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win XP

External dongle is no help, unfortunately...

Post by Type17 »

I have access to a BT dongle (D-Link DBT-120) and, with the built-in BT turned off, I get the same error when I try to activate the USB dongle.
rukqoa

Re: External dongle is no help, unfortunately...

Post by rukqoa »

Type17 wrote:I have access to a BT dongle (D-Link DBT-120) and, with the built-in BT turned off, I get the same error when I try to activate the USB dongle.
did you set it up at "settings | ports | usb"?
argesino

Post by argesino »

Hi guys,

I have your same problem and i have found what is the prblem (not the solution, too :-().

The problem is among VirtualBox tickets (http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2372) and regards the daemon blued (that handle bluetooth device) that is always active; if you kill it, it respawn :-(.

Is here a manner to kill this daemon?

Probably if it could be possible il could be more useful implementing bluetooth functionality on VirtualBox using the daemon interface.

Hi
Francesco Argese

P.S.: Please contact if someone find a solution... :(
baf
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Post by baf »

Try:
sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist

To reload:
sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
tduncklee

Blutooth GPS on Mac OS X

Post by tduncklee »

Anyone gotten this to work? I'm trying to use a Bluetooth GPS with Windows XP with VirtualBox Version 2.1.4
cuvtixo

Re: Apple Bluetooth (USB bus)

Post by cuvtixo »

Apple Bluetooth in my MacBook is on an (internal) USB controller, so I have to go into Ports, USB , then check enable USB Controller, check USB 2.0 (EHCI) controller, then under USB Device Filters, I click on the add device icon, and Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller [1965] appears.
I don't know if that addresses your problem, personally I had no idea that Bluetooth was connected to USB controller, and it wouldn't occur to me to look there. Good Luck!
<edited>
Oops I didn't read your question thoroughly. :oops: Have you tried going into System Preferences on Mac OSX- Sharing- Unmark Bluetooth Sharing checkbox- goto Bluetooth Preferences and unmark the On box and that should shut off BT on OSX. Actually this is the kind of thing I'd learn to do at the Terminal command line. I'm sure it's simpler that way, hopefully the poster above has the right method.
Wicked
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Apple Bluetooth

Post by Wicked »

Dear users,
I've just join this board only to answer this topic, I hope I could help you.
I need to develop under J2ME and use bluetooth api. Under Mac OSX is very diffucult to find all the tools to develop in j2me. expecially for bt api. so the better way is to virtual a windows system in which I install all the tools needed to develop under mobile java. my problem is to let nokia virtual phone talk with bt stack of win...or better Virtual Box to use BT stack of my MAC OSX. reading your post I tried some configuration.
the better is:
start your Virtual machine (you can't use BT now because it returns an error, os x is using BT stack again).

turn off your internal bluetooth card from the OS X menù.

plug in a BT USB key, now OSX start bt automatically and you cannot turn it off via GUI Command on your OS.

Go to Virtual machine and click on the bottom icon of usb devices (with your guest os active).
Now you can see two USB BT devices and one of them is free. I don't know exactly what it is, but when I clicked on one of them, Win on my guest os start to find a BT device and install it. Now I can use BT on a guest os. :)

I hope that I could be clear to explain the way, don't esitate to write.
Bye
jameshsi
Guest OSses: 2

Post by jameshsi »

Hi!
I like virtualbox, and I got Nokia E71, I need to use Nokia Pc Suite to sync my Phone with my Windows XP, but I can't connect it with my Macbook's BT, anyone can find a way to do it ? I don't want to buy a BT dongle and I just upgrade to the new VB 2.2 version, still no luck. VirtualBox staff, please solve this issue to help Mac users to be able to use BT.
Type17
Guest OSses: Win XP

Post by Type17 »

Wicked wrote:start your Virtual machine (you can't use BT now because it returns an error, os x is using BT stack again).

turn off your internal bluetooth card from the OS X menù.

plug in a BT USB key, now OSX start bt automatically and you cannot turn it off via GUI Command on your OS.

Go to Virtual machine and click on the bottom icon of usb devices (with your guest os active).
Now you can see two USB BT devices and one of them is free. I don't know exactly what it is, but when I clicked on one of them, Win on my guest os start to find a BT device and install it. Now I can use BT on a guest os. :)

I hope that I could be clear to explain the way, don't esitate to write.
Bye
I tried this, but I still get the "in use by someone else" error.
Wicked

Post by Wicked »

It passed a long time and I never try it more. I remember that when I follow my previous description I obtain two bt device in the virtualbox usb icon. One of them is the new plugged USB bt dev, actually used by OSX; the second one is the Apple BT that now should have be free. If the driver for windows of the Apple BT exists it's possible to instal it. But I don't be sure!
A friend tell me that has some similar problems on Linux. he said to try to give to Virtual ox the permission to control the Apple bt but I don't know how. If anyone knows how...:)
Thanks
Dradts

Post by Dradts »

I found a way to get the integrated BT-module to work within VirtualBox, but it is a little bit complicated. You have to unload the Apple Bluetooth-Daemon as well as some kernel extensions. Fortunately, this does not require a reboot!

To accomplish this, you need to be logged in as superuser (root) in the terminal.
To unload the Bluetooth-Daemon, type

launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist
Afterwards, try to unload the AppleIOBluetoothHCIController kernel extension, via

kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController
This might not work when the AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController is still referenced by another kernel extension. If unloading fails, type

kextstat
in terminal to find out which other kernel extensions refer to the AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController. Unload all these kernel extensions via kextunload (in my case on my MacBook 13" I also had to unload "BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController"), then try unloading the AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController again.
Afterwards, run VirtualBox and select the Bluetooth-Module from the USB-devices menu. It should now integrate into the VM and can then be used within Windows. Windows does not recognize that it is a BT-Module, so you have to install the Apple Bootcamp drivers.

Dradts
Wicked

Post by Wicked »

great! I don't have tried yet but if this work this could be useful to VirtualBox dev to manage bluetooth.Thanks guy!
Dradts

Post by Dradts »

Let me know if this works for you, too!