VirtualBox 2.1, Windows Vista x64 guest has no sound

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DualShock

VirtualBox 2.1, Windows Vista x64 guest has no sound

Post by DualShock »

Hi,

I'm testing out the experimental feature in VirtualBox 2.1 where you can run a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit host. I'm running Windows Vista SP1 x64 on an XP Pro SP3 32 bit host, on 64 bit hardware.

I've followed the instructions in the release notes on how to set up the VM properly, and I have turned on the Windows DirectSound option and selected AC'97 audio. Vista can't find any drivers for the audio hardware though, so there's no sound.

Is there another setting that I should be using? Or could this be a bug with 2.1 where the sound hardware is not properly being emulated to the guest?
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

There were no changes relating to the emulated sound hardware. It seems that Vista guests have problems with sound input but sound output should work. Please could you open a bug report and attach (NOT copy'n'paste!) the VBox.log file to the defect? Thanks.
DualShock

Post by DualShock »

Done.

Bug 2785 entered.

Thanks!
swampy1979

Post by swampy1979 »

Download and install the realtech drivers from
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false 8)
Technologov
Volunteer

Re: VirtualBox 2.1, Windows Vista x64 guest has no sound

Post by Technologov »

eneuby
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by eneuby »

I am running Apple Mac OSX Snow Leopard and virtual box 3.1.0. I installed Windows 7 x64 and had the same problem. Windows said it could not locate an audio device. I installed the Realtek AC'97 Drivers inside of Windows 7 and the sound now works flawlessly! Great fix!!!!
JosephSpokes
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: 3.1.0

Post by JosephSpokes »

Thanks for that swampy. The fix worked perfectly for me. Finally I have perfect sound.

Visit typically the tinnitus miracle to a fat burning furnace review and as a result the diet solution program to enhance your quality of life.