How to convert Windows physical machine to Virtualbox guest

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

How to convert Windows physical machine to Virtualbox guest

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I have a Windows XP SP3 installed on physical computer. I would like to migrate that OS to my VirtualBox 2.0.4 Windows XP sp3 host.

Is there any simple way of doing it. I have searched the web but there are plenty of geek ways of doing it and also there are infos for old versions of VirtualBox.

Is there any how-to, step by step instructions?
Regards,
Abcuser
TerryE
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

No. There is Vkov's Howto on a clean install, and the associated discussions around the issues of a dirty P2V, plus a Wiki web page.

There are about 3 or 4 completely different paths depending on your licence and how your install handles activation. No one has done a comprehensive tutorial yet. Sorry.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
abcuser
Volunteer

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I have read somewhere that WMware has some wizard to migrate and it creates virtual drive. This drive could be converted to vdi (because I need snapshot). Has someone tried WMware way?
Thanks
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

The VMware tool converts to a VMware instance. I tried the path that you suggest but still had problems getting my VM to boot -- even in VMware player. It does some of the steps you need. Why not have a play and write your own tutorial, like Vkov did?
abcuser
Volunteer

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I have followed How to convert physical machines to virtual machines with VMware Converter tutorial and manage to get virtual machine from physical machine and this VM is working OK in VMware!!!

I created samba directory from Ubuntu host to Windows directory on another physical machine and tried to create new VirtualBox guest and add existing virtual disk image which points to VMware wmdk file and VirtualBox 2.0.4 reports the following error:
Note: click on picture to enlarge.

Why can't I open wmdk file with VirtualBox?
Regards
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

VMware converter is designed to make P2V migration for VMware easy. There are various reasons why this VMware virtual image might barf in VBox, e.g. VBox currently supports some types of VMDK. It doesn't support differencing VMDK (which would produce this error BTW) and the newer VMware Workstation formats.
abcuser
Volunteer

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
using WMware converter there is dialog to select which WMware type of WMware Workstation to select: 4.5, 5.0 and 6.0. I selected 6.0.

Today I have copied the WMware virtual machine to my local computer and starting copied Windows guest Windows starts up to menu: "Safte Mode, ... Start Windows Normally".

Then it freezes. I started Windows in Safe Mode and it hang up coming to file Windows\system32\mup.sys.
Regards,
Abcuser
lilliebennett

Post by lilliebennett »

I found this useful by googling "vmdk to vhd" http://blog.virtualiron.com/2007/05/16/ ... erter.html
You can follow the steps to prepare the vmdk but then boot it with vBox or use something like clonezilla to convert it to vdi, if you want the advantages of vdi. I used the VMware converter to clone a version 5 vmdk which is compatible with VMware server 1.x. Version 6 is compatible with VMware server 2.x if you already have 6. You will need to install VMware server to prepare the vmdk. Your guest windows will probably want to reactivate.
Lillie