Windows 2000 - fails to shutdown or reboot

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
camper

Windows 2000 - fails to shutdown or reboot

Post by camper »

I'm having successfully installed Windows 2000 with guest additions (VB 2.0.2 on Vista Business). Everything works fine, except that it does not seem to shut down correctly or does not reboot. I'm always getting a screen with a green grid on black background when it should power off or reboot. At the moment I help myself by clicking Maschine|Reset at the green grid, but I'm not sure, whether this is the correct way.
igoddard

Re: Windows 2000 - fails to shutdown or reboot

Post by igoddard »

camper wrote:I'm having successfully installed Windows 2000 with guest additions (VB 2.0.2 on Vista Business). Everything works fine, except that it does not seem to shut down correctly or does not reboot. I'm always getting a screen with a green grid on black background when it should power off or reboot. At the moment I help myself by clicking Maschine|Reset at the green grid, but I'm not sure, whether this is the correct way.
I have the same problem on Ubuntu Hardy host after upgrading to 2.0.2.

top shows VB running at 100% cpu.

Ian
igoddard

Windows 2000 - fails to shutdown or reboot - solved

Post by igoddard »

I discovered an earlier thread on the same problem. The solution is to install the additions from 2.0.0. This seems to fix the problem.

That suggested going to filehippo to download an msi from which the iso had to be extracted. In fact the iso can be dowloaded directly from VB: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... _2.0.0.iso

Ian
Last edited by igoddard on 16. Oct 2008, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
robinky

Post by robinky »

This problem was solved by downgrading Guest Additions from 2.0.2 to 2.0.0 on my machine as well.
(Host: OpenSolaris 2008.05, Guest: Windows 2000 Server & Windows 2000 Pro)

When using ver 2.0.2, both Win 2K server and Win 2K pro put out a STOP ERROR in the middle of shutdown process... Now they work fine.

Thanks for sharing the tips. :D
skao

Post by skao »

Hi everyone

Had the similer problem here as well, my one you even can say is very funny, after select shutdown, when W2K finish the "shutdown" process I can see a blue screen with some text on it and W2K VM reboot itself. (cannot see what it said, as it only appear for short period of time, and did not look like the blue screen of death)

Any after I down grade the add-in to 2.0.0 it work find.

igoddard thanks for your help

Regards,
Stephen
camper

Post by camper »

Thank you very much. Downgrading the additions did the trick. :D
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

There is an open ticket (#2254) for this one.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
igoddard

Post by igoddard »

Maybe we need a sticky on this one until the fix is out.

Ian
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Nope, that's what View your posts is for. Just ensure that you log on automatically and bookmark this link on the Forum Index.
igoddard

Post by igoddard »

The purpose of such a sticky would be to provide a readily accessible note of a current frequent problem and its workaround, not to post a notification of its resolution.

Even better would be a permanent sticky containing a list of such issues, updated as problems come up and are solved. It would save a lot of people, especially new users, a lot of problems and cut down on the same question being asked repeatedly. A glance through any of the forums will show that there are usually one or two such issues ongoing at any one time which are repeatedly queried.

Ian
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Sorry Ian, but that's a high maintenance approach, and as Sun doesn't pay me or Sasquatch, so I am not going to do it. We do maintain an FAQ and we are considering an FAQ per forum, but again this involves quit a bit of set-up. If you want to query the Trac system then there's a whole reporting front end (see VirtualBox Available Reports) and you can even create your own custom queries.
igoddard

Post by igoddard »

Fair enough, Terry. I suppose it's up to Sun as to what they want to invest in what they bought.

Ian