Wayland Env: Issue with copying text from Terminal & pasting results in extra lines

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
agilis

Re: Wayland Env: Issue with copying text from Terminal & pasting results in extra lines

Post by agilis »

Okay well that is unfortunate. I thought I posted an update on that. I think I went to update the thread and then saw that there were responses and copied my comment to the clipboard.... and lost it :lol:

According to my AlmaLinux 9 instance, xorg-x11-server-Xwayland is already installed.

Code: Select all

sudo dnf -y install xorg-x11-server-Xwayland
Last metadata expiration check: 0:01:55 ago on Wed Jun  7 12:54:41 2023.
Package xorg-x11-server-Xwayland-21.1.3-7.el9.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Wayland Env: Issue with copying text from Terminal & pasting results in extra lines

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, thanks! That's the end of my ideas for now. Hopefully a Linux guru can suggest something else.

Actually, if you try to spin up an Ubuntu VM and see if the same thing happens, it might be helpful.
agilis

Post by agilis »

scottgus1 wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 19:07 OK, thanks! That's the end of my ideas for now. Hopefully a Linux guru can suggest something else.

Actually, if you try to spin up an Ubuntu VM and see if the same thing happens, it might be helpful.
I am hesitant to report this issue to AlmaLinux 9 community because it's only an issue when using VirtulaBox. Without crossing from Guest to Host, it's not an issue.

I can certainly try to spin up a Ubuntu VM. Could you give me instruction on what Ubuntu version you would like to me install? I have only ever used Ubuntu MATE.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Ubuntu Mate should be fine. Any new Ubuntu should work. If the fresh install shows it or doesn't, try updating the prerequisites and GAs. If you could report before and after GAs update it may help.

There's not a lot of folks reporting this issue, so if the Ubuntu VM doesn't have it, it may be an AlmaLinux issue.

Unless:
agilis wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 19:30 it's only an issue when using VirtulaBox
Have you tried this in other virtualization platforms?
agilis

Post by agilis »

scottgus1 wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 19:34 Ubuntu Mate should be fine. Any new Ubuntu should work. There's not a lot of folks reporting this issue, so if the Ubuntu VM doesn't have it, it may be an AlmaLinux issue.

Unless:
agilis wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 19:30 it's only an issue when using VirtulaBox
Have you tried this in other virtualization platforms?
This issue does not occur in Ubuntu MATE which was the OS I was using until I was tasked to research and investigate AlmaLinux 9.

Unfortunately I do not have access or experience with any other Virtualization platforms. Can you perhaps recommend one?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Ok, with the GA version mismatch sorted out, please try the following (using the GA 7.0.8 or 7.0.9):

Start the guest VM, open a terminal and execute the following commands to enable some additional logging inside the guest. Reproduce the issue, describe what you did and provide the log file (/tmp/clipboard.log, if you didn't change the command):

# Clipboard logging (X11 guest)
sudo pkill -fx "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard"
VBOX_RELEASE_LOG_DEST="file=/tmp/clipboard.log" VBOX_RELEASE_LOG_FLAGS="time tid thread" VBOX_RELEASE_LOG="all.e.l.l2.l3.f" VBoxClient -d --clipboard
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

agilis wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 19:37 any other Virtualization platforms. Can you perhaps recommend one?
No, I was only thinking through the idea that it only happened in Virtualbox and checking if it was not happening with Alma in other hypervisors. If no other hypervisors have been tested yet, then there is still a possibility it's something with Alma or X vs Wayland or some such.
agilis wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 19:37 This issue does not occur in Ubuntu MATE
Intriguing. So there's a difference between Mate & Alma. Is Mate running Wayland? If so, does Alma continue to show it if you enable Wayland in it?
agilis

Post by agilis »

scottgus1 wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 19:51 Intriguing. So there's a difference between Mate & Alma. Is Mate running Wayland? If so, does Alma continue to show it if you enable Wayland in it?
According to someone in the Ubuntu MATE community, you cannot run MATE Desktop on Wayland. All the apps in the MATE suite are Wayland compatible but not the desktop session. So that's great :roll:

Unfortunately because of this, Ubuntu MATE is not a great test against AlmaLinux.

I'm now going to try to get the information @fth0 has requested.
agilis

Post by agilis »

fth0 wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 19:48 Ok, with the GA version mismatch sorted out, please try the following (using the GA 7.0.8 or 7.0.9):

Start the guest VM, open a terminal and execute the following commands to enable some additional logging inside the guest. Reproduce the issue, describe what you did and provide the log file (/tmp/clipboard.log, if you didn't change the command):

# Clipboard logging (X11 guest)
VBOX_RELEASE_LOG_DEST="file=/tmp/clipboard.log" VBOX_RELEASE_LOG_FLAGS="time tid thread" VBOX_RELEASE_LOG="all.e.l.l2.l3.f" VBoxClient -d --clipboard
Can you please verify the commands I am executing please? I'm not sure they are formatted correctly. Should it be the following?

VBOX_RELEASE_LOG_DEST="file=/tmp/clipboard.log" 
VBOX_RELEASE_LOG_FLAGS="time tid thread" 
VBOX_RELEASE_LOG="all.e.l.l2.l3.f" 
VBoxClient -d --clipboard
agilis

Post by agilis »

@fth0: I tried executing the commands the way I believe they are supposed to be executed:

VBOX_RELEASE_LOG_DEST="file=/tmp/clipboard.log" 
VBOX_RELEASE_LOG_FLAGS="time tid thread" 
VBOX_RELEASE_LOG="all.e.l.l2.l3.f" 
sudo VBoxClient -d --clipboard
There was no file "clipboard.log" written to /tmp.

Here is the output afer executing the commands you provided:

18:32:08.121631 main     VBoxClient 7.0.8 r156879 (verbosity: 0) linux.amd64 (Apr 17 2023 18:38:34) release log
18:32:08.121632 main     Log opened 2023-06-07T18:32:08.121627000Z
18:32:08.121646 main     OS Product: Linux
18:32:08.121647 main     OS Release: 5.14.0-284.11.1.el9_2.x86_64
18:32:08.121649 main     OS Version: #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue May 9 05:49:00 EDT 2023
18:32:08.121653 main     Executable: /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-7.0.8/bin/VBoxClient
18:32:08.121654 main     Process ID: 2665
18:32:08.121654 main     Package type: LINUX_64BITS_GENERIC
18:32:08.121659 main      VBoxClient 7.0.8 r156879 started. Verbose level = 0. Wayland environment detected: no
18:32:08.121661 main      Service: Shared Clipboard
18:32:08.121906 main      Initializing service ...
18:32:08.121917 main      Creating worker thread ...
18:32:08.128830 main      Service started
Important thing to note, VBoxClient is reporting that a Wayland environment was not detected. That is absolutely incorrect.
agilis

Post by agilis »

Well now I feel absolutely foolish to some degree :shock: I have been setting up AlmaLinux 9 with automatic login since there will only be one user in the environment.

Curious, I turned that off and at the login screen, I saw nothing of interest. Until I clicked on the user's profile picture. Suddenly a gear appeared at the bottom right corner of the login screen.

Selecting Standard (X11 display server) allows the copy and paste to work correctly! :D

I am willing to continue troubleshooting the Wayland side of things since switching back and forth just requires me to logout of the user's current session. 8)
Attachments
options.png
options.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 29593 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

agilis wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 20:52 Selecting Standard (X11 display server) allows the copy and paste to work correctly!
Awesome! So the OS was running Wayland something or other before? Would be curious if switching those selections cause or un-cause the problem.
agilis

Post by agilis »

scottgus1 wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 20:55
agilis wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 20:52 Selecting Standard (X11 display server) allows the copy and paste to work correctly!
Awesome! So the OS was running Wayland something or other before? Would be curious if switching those selections cause or un-cause the problem.
Yeah!! So the OS was by default running Standard (Wayland display server)

Which the VirtualBox GAs did not detect as being Wayland :o This makes me think that VirtualBox handling of Wayland is not active because GAs does not detect Wayland.

Now I did switch from X11 back to Wayland after my most recent post and the issue is still present.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

So, X11 has no problem, but Wayland does? If so, I'd post this on the Bugtracker with a summary and a link back here, and a set of zipped logs: one with X running and working clipboard, and another with Wayland running and failing clipboard.
agilis

Post by agilis »

scottgus1 wrote: 7. Jun 2023, 21:21 So, X11 has no problem, but Wayland does? If so, I'd post this on the Bugtracker with a summary and a link back here, and a set of zipped logs: one with X running and working clipboard, and another with Wayland running and failing clipboard.
Will do. Thank you!