USB detected but not visible in My Computer

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
nab_virtual

USB detected but not visible in My Computer

Post by nab_virtual »

I have upgraded to VB 2.1 The external USB device when plugged in on the host machine(MAC OS X), is detected in the VB and checked too, but i cannot see it in "My Computer" on the guest OS (Windows).
I have put in filters too, but nothing seems to be helping out and this is driving me nuts. Pls Help !!!
makesense

a solution

Post by makesense »

step 1: created a filter for it in USB window setting in VB

step 2: unmounted the USB memory stick from the Finder in OSX

step 3: automatically, XP detected new hardware and installed driver, and presto, the memory stick was there in My Computer (try hitting View/Refresh in Explorer window for My Computer....though first need to see the task bar icon for "Safely Remove Hardware"
nab_virtual

re: a solution

Post by nab_virtual »

step 1: created a filter for it in USB window setting in VB
****** I did this step.

step 2: unmounted the USB memory stick from the Finder in OSX
****** I believe you mean to say eject it from Mac OS. I did this step too.

step 3: automatically, XP detected new hardware and installed driver, and presto, the memory stick was there in My Computer (try hitting View/Refresh in Explorer window for My Computer....though first need to see the task bar icon for "Safely Remove Hardware"
****** After ejecting the memory stick i do see that VB detects it if i "check" it in VB, but still the stick is not visible in My Computer, even after the refresh. Though after ejecting it from MAC, it does show disappeared from MAC.
wplj42

USB drive not showing up

Post by wplj42 »

I had a similar situation occur where my USB drive would not show up on a PC. I had re-formated the USB drive and that was the problem. To fix it required going into Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. Not only do you need to format the drive under MS-DOS, but I needed to re-create the partition. You can create a single partition (1 Partition). I don't know how to add a picture to my post or I'd show you. You need to click on Options and make sure the partition is done using Master Boot Record. Then format the USB drive using MS-DOS (FAT). Keep in mind, you will loose everything on the drive. What could have happened while using the drive on a Mac is the formatting was changed to GUID Partition Table (used for Intel Macs) or Apple Partition Map (used for Power PC Macs). Hope that helps and I didn't loose you.