VirtualBox installation problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
michael
Oracle Corporation

VirtualBox installation problem

Post by michael »

[Continued from the bugtracker]

zdavatz: I installed Virtualbox 1.5.0 from here: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5. ... ux_x86.run
(as there is no gentoo package yet and I am running on Gentoo).
Wenn I do /opt/VirtualBox-1.5.0> ./VirtualBox
I get: ./VirtualBox: error while loading shared libraries: VBoxKeyboard.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Thank you for any Feedback.
Zeno

Michael: Run 'VirtualBox' from anywhere on the system, not './VirtualBox' from the installation folder.

zdavatz: This will start my old VirtualBox installation 1.4.0

Frank: Then your installation is not correct. You should never install two different versions of VirtualBox on the same box. We prevent that for .debs and .rpms but cannot for Gentoo of course. The VBox.sh script (which 'VirtualBox' points to) looks for /etc/vbox/vbox.cfg. This file includes a line INSTALLATION_DIR which should point to your correct VirtualBox directory.

zdavatz: Ok, now I deinstalled all the other version but get this error:

Code: Select all

/opt/VirtualBox-1.5.0/VirtualBox: Symbol `_ZTV6QFrame' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
Qt WARNING: QObject::connect: No such signal QStatusBar::showTip(const QString&)
Qt WARNING: QObject::connect: (sender name: 'automatic status bar')
Qt WARNING: QObject::connect: (receiver name: 'automatic status bar')
Qt WARNING: QObject::connect: No such signal QStatusBar::removeTip() 
Qt WARNING: QObject::connect: (sender name: 'automatic status bar')
Qt WARNING: QObject::connect: (receiver name: 'automatic status bar') 
Speicherzugriffsfehler 
Thank you for your Feedback.
Zeno
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I wonder how you installed VirtualBox 1.5? Normally, installing one version should replace an old one, unless you mixed installation methods (did you install the old one from an ebuild and the new one from our package?)

In any case, try reinstalling our package to see if that helps things.

Note: it is possible to use two versions of VirtualBox on one system, but that means that you have to fiddle one to use a different configuration folder.
zdavatz

Great! From source works but do you have an easier startup

Post by zdavatz »

method!

You guys are great and very kind and very helpful! Thank you very much for all you help so far.

OSE 1.5.0 VirtualBox just started up with out a flaw, great. Is there an easier way of starting up the OSE edition then this:

Next you should start the VirtualBox XPCOM daemon using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./VBoxSVC&
Finally, you can start one of the frontends, e.g.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./VirtualBox
Note that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. is required because we have to find our .so files and the output directory is not in the system's library path.

Thank you for your Feedback.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Basically not unless you set up things yourself or get a prepackaged version. The OSE version is intended for developers, who will not be reinstalling every time they rebuild, and for distributions and other people to package. If you wish to use the OSE version and are not comfortable with setting it up, then you are probably best looking for a version which someone else has packaged.
zdavatz

Everything Sweet, Innotek is great!

Post by zdavatz »

Everything works great if I compile from source. I just haded to do this more then simple (for me complicated) Bash-Script:
#bin/bash

cd /home/zeno/VirtualBox-1.5.0_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/bin/

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./VBoxSVC&

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./VirtualBox
All the best and once thanks again for your thorough German Support!

;)

Zeno