sound is full of static until zune restart

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
v1nsai

sound is full of static until zune restart

Post by v1nsai »

Hello all, I've been having an odd problem with the zune software inside my windows xp guest on my ubuntu 8.04 host. After listening to sound for a while (i listen to music in my sleep) the sound quality plummets and becomes very full of static and is overall terrible. All of windows suffers from this problem, which goes away when I close zune. I can then restart zune and all is well, but there seems to be a time limit when I listen to music when my sound quality goes out.

What I've tried:
- Removing and reinstalling Zune.

- Completely removing virtualbox from Synaptic and reinstalling.

- Using different sound drivers in virtualbox (I'm using ALSA ICH 97, tried Sound Blaster version to no avail.)

I'm sure it isn't my hardware because I used zune and virtualbox in the same way recently before reformatting my system. I'm not sure where else to hit it can anyone suggest anything?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Try it with the Zune software on a Windows Host. If it does the same, it's a bug in the Zune software. It wouldn't be the first time an application messes up the audio of the OS (either Guest or Host).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
v1nsai

Post by v1nsai »

Yea that's what I've been doing. While I'm running zune inside of WinXP the sound quality goes out for the entire virtual OS until I close zune, and completely goes away the moment I close it. This doesn't affect my Ubuntu host at all. Is there a way to reload the sound drivers in virtualbox? I've tried switching around in the settings menu but is there a way to recompile the sound driver or something?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Do you get the same behaviour on a native Windows install?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
v1nsai

Post by v1nsai »

I would doubt it, I've used Zune in vbox before and haven't had this problem. I recently reformatted my whole disk and after reinstalling vbox this problem started.

Another reformat would probably fix the problem, it sounds like something just isn't configured right and no one else seems to be having this problem, but I'm trying to isolate WHAT exactly is wrong instead of nuking the whole thing.