spawning session endless

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
at&t

spawning session endless

Post by at&t »

Hi there,

I gotta a problem on virtualbox (2.0.2_36488 for openSuse11 x64) only in one of my machines. This is about an endless message that shows up when I try to start the virtual machine. This pop-up window says: "Spawning session 0%" and never changes the number.
I don't have any virtual machine installed on that machine because it not possible to turn on the just-finished process of setting up a new vm.

Any advice or help?

Thanks.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Is the VirtualBox Kernel module loaded? Did it compile properly? These are the common problems with this kind of error. Please use the search (google might be better with site filter), this error has been discussed before.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
zeddock

Spawning Session...forever!

Post by zeddock »

This should be an option on the GUI side of vbox. Hopefully in the future...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=12

Run this from terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
put in your password and then try to run the machine again. It worked for me and many others. (BTW, This "SETUP" will not change a bunch of stuff, it will just reset the virtual drive mounting from what I read. **This problem happens whenever a new kernel is installed.)

zeddock
tao

Spawning Session...forever!

Post by tao »

Same issue happened to me today.
In my case it has fixed by doing this.

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Which i found somewhere in this site.

This command gives
• Stopping VirtualBox kernel module * done.
• Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module * done.
• Starting VirtualBox kernel module * done.

I think the cause is linux kernel version up.Inconsistency will be solved by this.
Redded

Missing vboxdrv

Post by Redded »

I had this problem too on my Mandriva 2009 (Updated from 2008), but when I ran the command I was informed that no vboxdrv file exists. (and it's true)

I reinstalled Virtualbox and went from 2.0.2 to 2.0.4, but although I no longer have Spawning, my virtual machine has a new error:

VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Re-setup the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

I seem to going round in circles :oops:
deejayb

Re: spawning session endless

Post by deejayb »

at&t wrote:Hi there,

I gotta a problem on virtualbox (2.0.2_36488 for openSuse11 x64) only in one of my machines. This is about an endless message that shows up when I try to start the virtual machine. This pop-up window says: "Spawning session 0%" and never changes the number.
I don't have any virtual machine installed on that machine because it not possible to turn on the just-finished process of setting up a new vm.

Any advice or help?

Thanks.
Check also if the user is part of the vboxusers group and permissions of the VDI file.

Greetings Jure
Greetings Jure