Installing Vista on XP hangs at "expanding files"?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Voradin

Installing Vista on XP hangs at "expanding files"?

Post by Voradin »

I am running Virtualbox 2.0.2, and I am having trouble installing a Vista guest on a Windows XP host machine.

My PC is a Pentium D 2.8GHz, 3GB RAM; I have been able to install Windows Server 2003, WinXP, and OpenSolaris successfully. My Vista virtual machine is set to 1GB of RAM, 20GB hard disk, and 64MB video memory; I have tried installation with USB, network, and audio both enabled and disabled, makes no difference.

When I try to install Vista, it gets to the "Installing Windows" screen and hangs on "expanding files (0%)...". It appears to be running (the dots are crawling) and the DVD drive will spin up about once every 2-3 minutes, but nothing else happens. The status bar shows about 10% progress (where it started) and does not move.

I have tried deleting and re-creating a new virtual disk. I have tried running the installation in Safe Mode. Nothing happens, it always hangs here.

:(

Any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
wampumferret
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Backtrack, Vista 64,

Re: Installing Vista on XP hangs at "expanding files"?

Post by wampumferret »

I was having a similar problem, but I just let it run for a long time and it started working...
flyingtuna01
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: vista

Re: Installing Vista on XP hangs at "expanding files"?

Post by flyingtuna01 »

Well ... how long my installation has been running for almost 5 hours. You think there is something wrong ? The vista installation screen is stuck in expanding