Support for -rawdisk and ZFS volumes gone in 1.6.2?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
fa-tech

Support for -rawdisk and ZFS volumes gone in 1.6.2?

Post by fa-tech »

1.6 permitted the creation of raw disks as per VirtualBox
UserManual 9.9.1, using createrawvmdk and a ZFS zvol
as block device. This works.

Using the same command with 1.6.2 does not seem
to produce any result. There is no vmdk file, and VBoxManage
prints no output other than the banner, which is unlike the
1.6 case.
echo $? prints 220

OpenSolaris 2008, snv_86 and also snv_90
in all combinations.

Does anyone know whether this is still supposed to work?
Tomservo
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris Express 11

Post by Tomservo »

I had the same issue just today. Supplying a raw device like before makes it clamor about block devices, supplying the block device link makes it exit with error code 220. Luckily, the new ZVOL was same size as an old one, so I took the VMDK file, changed the device path (using a raw device!) and the CIDs/UUIDs in it.
milosh

Post by milosh »

I have experienced exactly the same behaviour. I have tried to create VMDK file with this command:

./VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /export/home/vbox/xpdisk.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/dsk/c1d0p0 -partitions 5 -register

It output only the banner, no error. Partition 5 on my computer is NTFS in Extended partition.I have tried with ZFS also, same results. I have VBox 1.6.2.

I have went through a couple of Linux forums and it seems there is no such problem under Linux. Why is Solaris still behind Linux in many features when is most advanced OS in the world:x
pwl

Post by pwl »

i'm seeing this problem on "real" 'raw' partitions (although it seems to want the block device as described)

this has been raised as a bug (http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1784) but i have no idea what the status is

so my guess it's not a ZFS-related thing so much as a createrawvmdk thing
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

First of all, bug 1784 doesn't have anything to do with raw partitions. It's just a bad idea to mix pfexec and vbox.

The raw disk problem on Solaris is actually quite paradoxical: 1.6.2 is the first version which contains explicit code to handle Solaris. Before VirtualBox used a fallback which to say the least was fishy (using regular stat call, which is defined to return a valid size just for regular files). It surprises me more that it ever worked before.

And the ZVOL problem is IMHO a bug of the otherwise really fantastic ZFS. The ioctl for determining the size of a ZVOL works only for /dev/rdsk/..., and NOT for /dev/dsk/... - however 1.6.2 won't accept /dev/rdsk/... since that's a char device, and thus fails the block device check in VBoxManage.

The current OSE version is already partially fixed in this respect, but interestingly there's no other OS out there where it's as complicated to figure out the size of a block device. So many ways to choose from, and each way just covers a fraction of the possible cases.
pwl

Post by pwl »

i came across the same issue as expressed in bug 1784 whilst running as root: no pfexec in there - that was a red herring :/