can not use USB2.0 webcam

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
chunchengch

can not use USB2.0 webcam

Post by chunchengch »

I enabled the USB2.0 image capture controller, and in Windows XP guest the device is automatically detected and asked to install the driver, however, when I activate the webcam after the driver is installed, there is only a black screen, no image, what is the problem?

BTW, I tried to do the same thing in VMware Workstation, the webcam just works normally, why VirtualBox can not?
chunchengch

Post by chunchengch »

here are the snapshots.

webcam in VirtualBox 1.50
http://picasaweb.google.com/chunchengch ... 6323027906

webcam in VMware Workstation 6
http://picasaweb.google.com/chunchengch ... 7189032914
VON_CAPO

Re: can not use USB2.0 webcam

Post by VON_CAPO »

chunchengch wrote:and in Windows XP guest the device is automatically detected and asked to install the driver, however, when I activate the webcam after the driver is installed, there is only a black screen, no image, what is the problem?
Same problem here.

In my case after I installed the driver (witch detects the camera), I launched the webcam and the dialog that should show the image freeze at once.
Even the camera did not light the LED showing that it was working,

-I am running a Ubuntu v7.04 (host) and Windows XP Professional (guest)
-The camera is a Logitech Webcam Pro 4000, witch works OK under -Ubuntu and with other computer running WinXP Pro with the same driver.
-I installed the Virtualbox binary package (not the source one)
-Guest Additions are installed
-Others USB devices are activated and working, but not the camera.
-In the group vboxusers are already check marked ROOT and MYSELF as users.
-And finally, I changed a line in the file "/etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules"
from= SUBSYSTEM==”usb_device”, MODE=”0664?
to= SUBSYSTEM==”usb_device”, MODE=”0666?

Any idea about what setting I missed???
:cry:
redmax

Post by redmax »

I have the same problem. I cannot use my USB webcam :(
billihome

Post by billihome »

hi all,

I can use my webcam (Logitech Ultravision)...HOWEVER, the quality of the image is very low...and in applications using high quality video from the webcam no image is displayed. I suspect that only the low speed USB1 is working and not the faster USB2...yet.
kitrule

Post by kitrule »

Same problem. Webcam works in Ubuntu with UVC drivers for V4L2, wired through Virtualbox with the USB host. Standard drivers installed in XP guest and detected but no picture. This is an integrated webcam in a Lenovo N200. Believe it's a Sonix or Chicony, can give more information if necessary, both from Ubuntu and Windows, but it seems like it's a common problem with all sorts of webcams.

Anyone taking notice of this issue? Do I need to go somewhere to file a bug report ?

Thanks.
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

We've made some fixed for such usb devices and will introduce full usb 2.0 support soon. You'll have to be a bit more patient and wait for the next release.
mastercomputerwizard

Post by mastercomputerwizard »

Any update on this? I just tried a Logitech QuickCam Orbit MP under version 1.5.6 and still same result. Camera is detected and turns on but no audio or video.
Works fine outside of virtualbox under Ubuntu 7.10.

Host: Ubuntu 7.10
Guest: Windows XP Pro
sandervl
Volunteer

Post by sandervl »

Did you enable the EHCI controller in the VBox USB settings?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I tested this last night on both XP and Server 2003, both have all the options for USB (so full USB2.0) but no video on my camera (Creative Live Pro). I know my cam can also work on USB1.1 because I used it on my previous computer too without any problem.
rahl

Post by rahl »

Same effect here. Using fresh VirtualBox 1.6.0 on Ubuntu 8.04 host with Windows XP Pro (SP2) guest. Computer is Toshiba Tecra S3, camera is Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro.

Even the activity LED on the camera goes properly on and off when I use it, but all I get is a black rectangle where the video should be.

Is there anything I could test to help? Post some log file or anything?
sandervl
Volunteer

Post by sandervl »

Please add your comments to an existing defect that sounds like the same thing you are seeing: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/242
derflanessnah

USB webcam

Post by derflanessnah »

I have tried to get an USB2.0 videograbber working in WinXP guest on a debian host.With some usb-snooping i found out, that the ISOC-transfers for the video data are not handled correctly .They always show massive errorcounts in the reply from the device.
Other usb-devices like pendrives and harddisks are now(with Virtualbox 1.6) handled correctly, which the were not before.The transfer performance is stil poor ,which may cause the problem with the ISOC-transfers.
Besides that Virtualbox is a great product , that helps very much in developing and testing software on different platforms.
balaji

Post by balaji »

I confirm this on VirtualBox 2.0.6 also. The USB 2.0 Webcam is not working on a Windows XP guest. Please let me know what debug information I can provide to help you fix this issue. On ticket # 242 I have confirmed this bug and attached a lsusb -v output. Please let me know if you need further information.
Payk
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP Sp3

Re: can not use USB2.0 webcam

Post by Payk »

"We've made some fixed for such usb devices and will introduce full usb 2.0 support soon. You'll have to be a bit more patient and wait for the next release."
Hmhmh, any progress with that?
Also ppl asked why it is like that....I would also like to know that if you don't mind.
If it is because of USB speed some ppl might have a chance by turning resolution of camera down...
Greetings,
Payk