VirtualBox OSE binaries for Windows for download?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mober

VirtualBox OSE binaries for Windows for download?

Post by mober »

Hi there,

is there any developer out there who managed to build VirtualBox OSE for Windows from the sources, and would be willing to share his binaries for download?

I'd like to create a little Linux-based appliance in a VirtualBox that I would like to distribute to others for educational purposes. I cannot redistribute the commercial binaries, that's why I'm looking for the GPL'd OSE binaries. But I don't have enough time right now to shoot for building myself... Let alone I don't have Visual Studio.

That being said, does it even make sense to redistribute OSE binaries when there is no installer available? How hard is it to do manual installation (which would apparently imply registering COM servers etc)? Are there any batch files / scripts available for installation of OSE on Windows?

Thanks in advance - I'll be listening on this thread and on personal mail (PM).

BTW, I know that this very same question has been asked before:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... hlight=ose
http://forums.virtualbox.org/posting.ph ... te&p=18090
but without any answers. Also google did not show any matches.

I can't really see why people are so restrictive with Windows binaries of a GPL'd program. It's easily available as binary for all Linux users through their distros, so why not on Windows?
accessory

Post by accessory »

Hi:

I built part of windows binaries from OSE. There is no frontend yet. So you have to use vboxmanage.exe to create VM, register VM, modify hard disk (maybe by using vdixxx.exe, forgot the name of that program).

I would like to public the windows binaries after I figure out how to compile front end. But I think I also need to pubic the source code? Its size is big (about 300M). It is difficult for me to find such a big server to put all of them.

BTW: to use it, you can run some scripts to register COM and device driver.

Anyway, if you want basic binaries, I can email one to u. It is about 17M.
mober

Post by mober »

Awsome!

I haven't ever started a project on SourceForge before but perhaps they could be hosting the downloads? As for the sources you're right, the GPL requires you distribute the sources along with the binaries. But the source tarball from virtualbox.org is only 26MB and that one should suffice to honor the GPL since after all it's exactly what you've built the binaries from, isn't it?

I'll be sending my E-Mail address by BBS Personal Mail (PM).
accessory

Post by accessory »

Sent.

SourceForge may be a good place to put the binaries. I will consider that. :)
zwj200d

Post by zwj200d »

Mober,

I'm interested in VirtualBoxOSE binaries for Windows for basically the
same reasons as you.

Accessory,

The current version (1.6) wasn't released until after your last post.
As mober says:
... the source tarball from virtualbox.org is only 26MB and that one should suffice to honor the GPL since after all it's exactly what you've built the binaries from, isn't it?

But the only "tarball" currently available on virtualbox.org seems to be:
Sun xVM VirtualBox Open Source Edition(OSE) tarball
VirtualBox-1.6.0-OSE.tar.bz2 33.76 MB
They also make available the source code repository back to v1.3.2 so you are still sort of covered. But if you release the what you eMailed to mober to the general public you really should provide reasonably detailed instructions for finding exactly the source for whatever older version your binary was built from.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a rough correspondence of version release dates to change sets in the source code repository:

Code: Select all

Rev     Chgset        Date           Author    Log Message
                                        -----	-----	-----------------	--------	-----------

VirtualBox 1.6.0 (released 2008-04-30)  @8462   [8462]   04/29/08 15:14:07  	vboxsync  	sync debian
VirtualBox 1.5.6 (released 2008-02-19)  @6332   [6332]   01/10/08 16:54:54  	vboxsync  	sync deb
                     ???                @5478   [5478]   10/24/07 11:53:04  	vboxsync  	debian ose 1.5.51
VirtualBox 1.5.4 (released 2007-12-29)  @6205   [6205]   12/28/07 16:31:35  	vboxsync  	deb: sync
                     ???                @5452   [5452]   10/23/07 21:55:23  	vboxsync  	virtualbox-ose package name
VirtualBox 1.5.2 (released 2007-10-18)  @5256   [5256]   10/12/07 08:54:15  	vboxsync  	sync
VirtualBox 1.5.0 (released 2007-09-03)  @4315   [4315]   08/23/07 16:32:48  	vboxsync  	sync
                 revlog start -2        @3851   [3851]   07/25/07 18:40:27  	vboxsync  	OSE debian fixes
                 revlog start -1        @3848   [3848]   07/25/07 18:10:38  	vboxsync  	reexport
                 Repository Starts:     @3846   [3846]   07/25/07 18:08:17  	vboxsync  	export new debian/ directory
VirtualBox 1.4.0 (released 2007-06-06)	N.A.
VirtualBox 1.3.8 (released 2007-03-14)	N.A.
VirtualBox 1.3.6 (released 2007-02-20)	N.A.
VirtualBox 1.3.4 (released 2007-02-12)	N.A.
VirtualBox 1.3.2 (released 2007-01-15)	N.A.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have modified the source in any way you need to be careful what you call it. See: Licensing_FAQ

If you haven't changed anything I think it is okay to call it "VirtualBox OSE" with a version number close to that of the corresponding NonOSE release. You certainly shouldn't call it just "Virtual Box". But IANAL so I recommend using the contact link in this quote from the download page.
We do request that anyone intending to redistribute the Open Source Edition contact us first.
For the record I don't work Sun or any other for-profit company for that matter. I'm really adding to this topic hoping it will encourage someone, you perhaps, build a windows binary of VirtualBox-1.6.0-OSE.tar.bz2 and make it available. I've noticed that VDIs of some linux distros have been made available via bitTorrent at LinuxTracker. I expect they wouldn't object to facilitating distribution of binaries to run those VDIs under M$Windows.

-ZW
samwise

Post by samwise »

Have you tried Byron Clark's VirtualBox OSE Windows Guest Additions Installer?

It doesn't currently with shared folders, tho ...

Sam.
alexzeit
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Re: VirtualBox OSE binaries for Windows for download?

Post by alexzeit »

Dear All,
I would very much like to try VirtualBox OSE under WinXP but unfortunately do not have Visual Studio to compile it myself. Does anybody know where is it possible to download windows binaries of VirtualBox OSE ?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Alex
nateman1352
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by nateman1352 »

vboxwin32.sourceforge.net
alexzeit

Post by alexzeit »

Thank you very much for the link. Unfortunately I can not start VBox. There is following Message Box appears:

Code: Select all

Failed to create the VirtualBox COM Object
The application will now terminate.
Details:
Callee RC: E_NOINTERFACE (0x80004002)
Any help will be highly appreciated.
alexzeit

Post by alexzeit »

Cleaning the registry and reinstalling software helped.
For those who wants to use VBox OSE would be very helpfull to know what additional software should be installed along with VBox OSE.

Prior installing VBox (tested on Vista) one should check whether windows/system32 folder contain msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll

Now it is possible to run VBoxOSE but vm fails to start:
VirtualBox - Runtime Error
cannot access the kernel driver!
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
Make sure
Unfortunatley Google did not helped much as this problem is mainly explained for Linux Hosts.
alexzeit

Post by alexzeit »

Did you install it with admin rights?
Yes, Installed and started with Administrator rights.
On Windows XP it is running well. May be the reason is that on XP Computer I installed all software required to compile VirtualBox OSE?
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Could be, check compile dependecies by tracing all modules loaded on a working machine.
alexzeit

Post by alexzeit »

It works now. It was not enough to install and run it under the user with admin rights.
After I installed it with standard windows Administrator everything worked fine.
However properitary VirtualBox works in both cases.