Virtualbox please allow more video memory

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Orcson
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: win xp pro

Re: Virtualbox please allow more video memory

Post by Orcson »

Hans Eberhardt wrote:As long as the emulated graphics card is only an archaic one, there is no reason to use video memory above 64MB.
A size of 1GB will make sense if there will be some virtual high power ati or nvidia card sometimes.
Today there is no use for more virtual video memory.
HELLO-wah ! you know NOT what you say! Try installing all 4 packs of wow and you will soon see that you are ignorant to the fact that wow scans the system and os to find that you in fact do NOT have enough video ram to support the completion of the installation requirements. wtf do some of you get off making these nonsensical bold lie statements?

virtualbox does not allot you enough ram to complete the installation of world of warcraft ! 256megs of video ram is bare minimum to install wow.

When virtualbox makes a work around that fools games like wow into seeing more closely to the true video card ram, then it would be hands down better than trying to use that crippled emulator called whiskey(wine)

Dump your arrogance and get real and come out of your drug hazed graphics and you will understand.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Again: Else if you get installed it because of more VGA RAM: Games with such requirements dont work with the emulated device. Or they are unplayable slowly.

A VM is not made for gaming. Use the native os with dual boot. Or use WINE. WINE is not a virtualizer, its only an emulation of the windows api. So some supported windows games are playable near native performance.

All other solutions are crappy by default.The VGA RAM Size doe not solve any problem in this direction.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Orcson wrote:WoW will NOT let the installation complete because there is not enough video ram.
Then go complain to WoW technical support. Don't ask us to implement kludges to cover up other peoples bugs.
rpxmac
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian 6, Windowx XP and Windows 7

Post by rpxmac »

Hi Friends!

I do not know if this solution applies to all versions. I managed to raise 128M to 256M Video Ram changing the one simple line in the file ".VBOX", using a simple "Text Editor". The ".VBOX" file is the configuration file of virtual machine, on same name folder:

Change from:

<Display VRAMSize="126" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="true" accelerate2DVideo="true"/>

To:

<Display VRAMSize="256" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="true" accelerate2DVideo="true"/>

Do not forget to make this change with the virtual machine off (not running), and the panel VirtualBox also closed the program (the program and the VirtualBox virtual machine can not be running).

Save the file ".VBOX" and open the control panel Virtualbox, go in display properties and the total 256M Ram available.

I tested these changes on a Windows XP and Windows 7 and the performance has improved dramatically ...

Also installed the add-ons to enable 3D support, but efficient surface to allow the system to run more lighter (particularly Windows 7). Performance in Windows XP is very good in my view. Simply install Windows and just after the installation is complete, enter in the Desktop, restart the computer holding the F8 key, activating the "safe mode". Upon entering the desktop screen now, activate the option of installing adons (on virtual machine menu "HOST+D"), initialize the installation and select "D3D". Proceed and after the installation, reboot the virtual machine. Now the 3D support is active. Do not abuse the resources, it is not possible to enable AERO but performance improves considerably.

Comparing the same OS's running in VirtualBox and VMWare, VirtualBox can say that in the performance exceeded my expectations, since the machine HOST not lost much performance as with machines running VMWare Fusion (Mac OSX).

I have helped in some way.

Hugs,

RPX
KevinKK
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by KevinKK »

thanks for telling us your experience!
if it´s so easy why is it not implemented in the GUI of Virtualbox?
Why do especially the developers have to hear the crying about more graphic ram if it´s so easy to change?

and even if it´s not neccessary that you have more ram why shouldn´t it be nice to have more?

and i played a bit with your idea. 256 MB is the maximum. if you want more you get an error. and 256MB is exactly the amount of VRAM that you can get if you set the displays to 8^^. more vram is not implemented in VBox. but as it is possible to get 256MB VRAM with 1 screen why shouldn´t it be available as an option?
would be nice to have.
Xangis
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Fedora, Ubuntu, WinXP, Vista, 2000, 7, Solaris

Post by Xangis »

Thank you for that tip.

A lot of Windows games are quite playable in a VM on a high-end Phenom II or i7 system nowadays and it's nice to be able to set the video RAM higher to accommodate.
arkain

Post by arkain »

Here's a useful variant of the same idea.

How about changing VB to report the Guest video card as having the same Video RAM size as the Host automatically. This would alleviate the complaints of people about "Applications not installing due to insufficient Video RAM". However, keep the Video RAM size setting in the Control Panel. In this way, the guest OS will have up to 128MB for 2D purposes, just like it currently is. However, the Guest will think it has up to Host Video RAM Size MB in it's video card. Since Video RAM > 128MB is generally unused, it stands to reason that the only apps that will try to access the higher Video RAM areas would be 3D applications. And since 3D apps already get access to all of the Host's Video RAM via OpenGL, there shouldn't be any more complaints.

Just my 2 cents.
DarkPhoenix
Guest OSses: PC-BSD 9.0 Isotope

Post by DarkPhoenix »

arkain wrote:Here's a useful variant of the same idea.

How about changing VB to report the Guest video card as having the same Video RAM size as the Host automatically. This would alleviate the complaints of people about "Applications not installing due to insufficient Video RAM". However, keep the Video RAM size setting in the Control Panel. In this way, the guest OS will have up to 128MB for 2D purposes, just like it currently is. However, the Guest will think it has up to Host Video RAM Size MB in it's video card. Since Video RAM > 128MB is generally unused, it stands to reason that the only apps that will try to access the higher Video RAM areas would be 3D applications. And since 3D apps already get access to all of the Host's Video RAM via OpenGL, there shouldn't be any more complaints.

Just my 2 cents.

One reason is dedicated video ram as in a pci video card vs an on board chip for video ram. I have a desktop with 1 gig of video ram on a video card. I'd like to see 1 gig reported by VBox. I also have a laptop that used an on board chip that has 336 MB's of video ram BUT, it shares extra system ram to equal 1.6 gigs of video ram. In essence, my laptop has more video ram than my desktop, but with your idea on the laptop, VBox would report only 336 MB of ram. I'd love it to report I had my full 1.6 gigs of video ram for my laptop.

128 is cheesy.. what is this some Nintendo or ps 1 emulator? No, it's supposed to be a top notch virtual machine that runs today's high performance operating systems and their applications. That means games and Video editing and all sorts of things that actually need up to 1 gig or higher of video ram. Yours is not to ask why your is to do or die. VBox once had a limitation of 64 MB for video ram. A fix was found, improved on till it became stable and the norm now is 128 MB. Is there any reason why Vbox cannot in the future use up to 1 gig of system memory as video ram? None whatsoever. It just hasn't been designed yet.

You see all these folks here are the users of the app, not the designers of the software. The open source coders are the ones you need to talk to. You need to encourage them to get off their butts and design a fix for the 128 MB video ram limitation. They need to answer us when people ask, why is there a limitation for video ram? How do you think this can be improved on and overcome? But rarely do you get coders to be frank with you about the truth of their apps.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

DarkPhoenix wrote:I have a desktop with 1 gig of video ram on a video card. I'd like to see 1 gig reported by VBox.
Why? If you have two PCs, do you expect PC-B to report how much video memory PC-A has? Then why should a virtual PC report how much VRAM the host PC has?
DarkPhoenix
Guest OSses: PC-BSD 9.0 Isotope

Post by DarkPhoenix »

mpack wrote:
DarkPhoenix wrote:I have a desktop with 1 gig of video ram on a video card. I'd like to see 1 gig reported by VBox.
Why? If you have two PCs, do you expect PC-B to report how much video memory PC-A has? Then why should a virtual PC report how much VRAM the host PC has?
I didn't come up with the idea arkain did. I was just commenting on his hypothetical situation. In other words if the VM did make such reports from one to the other that is what i'd like to see reported.

But since you asked.. if there was a call for such an option I don't see why it cannot be done through the VM software. For that matter, it's all shared ram anyway The virtual machine should let me set up to the max amount of ram in my machine within reason and limits of whats left over. For example lets say I have 4 gigs of DDR3, and I know windows will run nicely using 2 gigs of ram, I know my VM guest will run nicely with 1 gigs of ram, then I should be able to set 1 full gig of ram if needed for video in the VM.

If I had 8 gigs of ddr3 in my PC, I should be able to set say 3 for windows, 2 for the guest and 3 gig of ram if desired for my guest video ram. It's all only a software limitation and I don't know any reason why these cannot be overcome unless a savvy person from the dev team can give me a good reason otherwise.
mark rumsey

Post by mark rumsey »

There are, as I understand it, two uses for RAM on a video card. One is the traditional use which is to hold the image sent to the screen. The other is to provide RAM for the GPU to do its calculations. The first takes a surprisingly small amount of RAM. The original 16 colour VGA resolution needed only 154Kb to hold the image, and even full HD (1920x1080 32bit) only needs 8.1Mb. So if a mere 8.1Mb is enough to display full HD, why have 500Mb or 1Gb cards? The rest is used by the GPU crunching the numbers that create that 8.1Mb image, inclduing 2D and 3D acceleration, rendering and all the other tricks found on current cards. As I understand it the VBox graphics subsystem (at this time) is emulated and cannot make use of the hosts graphics card/GPU. Therefore everything that would normally be run on the GPU using video RAM has to be done by the host processor using system RAM. That is potentially going to take away a lot of processor time from the guest if the demands on the graphics are high and as a result could lead to poor overall performance. I also believe at this stage the emulated graphics subsystem is pretty basic. It can do 2D acceleration, but 3D acceleration (a necessity for most games) is only experimental. 2D acceleration can be accomplised easily in 128MB, and even 3D will work in that if the demands aren't huge, so 128Mb is plenty to make the graphics subsystem work, at least until 3D acceleration moves on from experimental to supported. No doubt the amount of video memory will be expanded in due course and 3D acceleration will become a standard feature, but that may only be possible if the host is 64bit and therefore can have lost of memory (over 4GB) installed. It is possible 32bit hosts simply wouldn't be able to cope with the demands of full on 3D acceleration in an emulated graphics card. And lets not forget, an ever increasing number of graphics cards are powered by highly parallel 128bit monster GPUs (64 or more cores isn't uncommon) that even a top end Corei7 can't match in terms of sheer number cruncing, so the chances of emulating a high end graphcs subsystem are pretty remote. I think it will only be when GPUs get the equivalent of VT-x/AMD-V that VBox can latch into and run video code directly on the GPU that VBox will be able to provide virtual high end graphics to the guest machines.
it's supposed to be a top notch virtual machine that runs today's high performance operating systems and their applications. That means games and Video editing and all sorts of things that actually need up to 1 gig or higher of video ram.
I've never seen that or anything similar written anywhere on the Vitualbox website. VBox was designed for server and workstation use to run server and business applications. All the other uses have sprung up since, but I don't believe it was ever intended that it should be used to run a modern high performance guest OS on top of a host to run very demanding applications, whether they are games, video editing or whatever. It actually makes no sense to run highly demanding applications on a guest under a host anyway. All guest OS's run more slowly inside a VM than they would straight on the host. This is partly because quite a lot of functions involve two layers of code. Hard disk writes for example are executed by the guest to the virtual drive, then again by the host to the physical drive. This all takes processor cycles to complete. Also the bits of the VM that have to be emulated, like the graphics, sound card, network card and so on use a lot of processor power to do the emulation. The nett result is a very noticable performance penalty. On my old PC I was able to run a direct comparison of Windows 98 as a guest under both VBox and MS VPC2007 on a WinXP host against it running 98 on the hardware. Even with all the tweaks enabled (including VT-x/AMD-V) the virtual machines were quite a bit slower, and bearing in mind Win98 flew on that PC to start with the slow down had to be significant to be noticable. I would say the VMs could have been running as slow as half the speed of the native install. What I am trying to say is running a game, video editing or other high end processor and hardware intensive software on a VM is like trying to run it on old harware - probably not a very good idea.
Darrel

Post by Darrel »

Oddly enough, the following command line seems to work to solve this problem ....

vboxmanage modifyvm "Windows XP" --vram 256

This assumes that your virtual machine is named "Window XP".

... it's in the manual.

Darrel
jackel

Post by jackel »

Darrel wrote:Oddly enough, the following command line seems to work to solve this problem ....

vboxmanage modifyvm "Windows XP" --vram 256

This assumes that your virtual machine is named "Window XP".

... it's in the manual.

Darrel
thanks, just what i was looking for!
rjr12

Post by rjr12 »

Edit:  
Recently, I have compared VirtualBox with Parallels Desktop for Mac OS X. Parallels has done at least two things to enhance video performance of virtualized Windows 7. First, they have increased video memory to 1024 MB (1 GB). Second, they have enabled 3D acceleration (DirectX10) and vertical synchronization. Video performance is excellent. This is the first virtualization I have tried that has enabled YASARA to launch and run; I use this graphics-intensive molecular modeling program as a test of video capability, and with Parallels, it runs acceptably well. Unfortunately, VirtualBox is still unable to allow YASARA either to launch or to run. Because Parallels Desktop is only available for the Mac, it would be good if VirtualBox could increase its graphics capabilities to be at least as good as those of Parallels Desktop. BTW, I have tried Parallels Workstation for linux; at the time of testing, its graphics capabilities were about the same as VirtualBox, and it could not run YASARA. In any event, I would urge VirtualBox to provide further enhancements of its graphics, including more memory, DirectX, and OpenGL. Thank you.
Dr.M.ReDa wrote:as you have guessed from the subject
i am suggesting that virtual box should allow us to increase the video memory more than 128 Mb
why it is so limited
my graphic card supports 1G memory
i should be able to use it
it will really help us in designing and gaming
128 Mb
it's just not enough
Maybe I'm right , Maybe I'm Wrong
Lets See
I'd like to hear your opinions and see your votes
Thanks for listening for my suggestion
and hope we have more Memory

MODEDIT: Don't abuse colours, size and other markup abilities of phpBB. You can make your point with a normal message and proper grammar and punctuation.
rvboutin
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro 64, Windows 7 Ent 64

Post by rvboutin »

Hi,
It would be great if indeed Virtualbox could fix this and allow more than 256Mb of Video RAM. I am doing medical images analysis, and not that I truly need more than 256Mb of Video RAM as such, the software I want to use needs to see at least more 256Mb and 3D capabilities to start, otherwise although it installs properly, it hangs while starting.
Cheers,
Rv