jumbled audio in Linux guests in VB 3.2.8

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mfox
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux (various)

jumbled audio in Linux guests in VB 3.2.8

Post by mfox »

I upgraded several virtual linux machines to VB 3.2.8 yesterday, including the VB guest additions. I did this on a 1.83 ghz C2D Mac mini and a 2.26 ghz 13" MacBook Pro both running the latest version of Snow Leopard. The former is using external speakers, the MacBook Pro its internal speakers. On the MacBook Pro, all three upgraded virtual machines (Ubuntu 10.04, CrunchBang 9.04 and CrunchBang Statler alpha 2) now have poor quality sound when playing music; the speed is correct but the sound is jumbled. None of these had the jumbled sound previously. All are Debian-based distros and the music was played in Rhythmbox. However, I also tried VLC in CrunchBang 9.04 and the result was the same. Playing radio music also gave the same poor quality. However, I have the same virtual machines on my mini, and none of them have the jumbled sound.

Going through these combinations, it appears that the sound problem is due to the audio tool in the new VB version, but it only manifests itself when playing from an internal speaker. Alternatively, it's the particular internal speaker in a MacBook Pro.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I am guessing it would go away if I go back one version of VirtualBox, but I hate to do it because there are other useful fixes in 3.2.8.
archguest
Guest OSses: Arch Linux

Re: jumbled audio in Linux guests in VB 3.2.8

Post by archguest »

The sound is bloody awful in VirtualBox 3.2.8 under Snow Leopard. I am referring to Arch Linux 2.6.34 and Debian Lenny guests and the situation has been the same with the previous version of VirtualBox (3.2.6).

I remember using VirtualBox a while ago and the sound was so much better. I also have no problems with sound in VMWare Fusion although it has its own problems with other things.

I believe there is a ticket http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6816 but I wonder if anyone cares? :D
mfox

Post by mfox »

Thanks for posting, archguest. In my case, I'm certain that the problem wasn't present in 3.2.6. But it was good to see that there's a ticket on it and a number of Mac users have had the same, or similar problems. Hopefully it will be fixed for the next version.
4sound
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: windows xp

Post by 4sound »

same problem, sound is tinkling and being "echoed" since last release..
mfox

Post by mfox »

Well I finally found a solution, in another posting in a VirtualBox forum here. To summarize, for a Debian/Ubuntu or derivative guest, you create a file with gedit or some other text program: /etc/modprobe.d/sound

Paste the following text into the file:

Code: Select all

options snd-intel8x0 ac97_clock=48000
options snd slots=snd-intel8x0
# CvwD.FAMlirE10w6:82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
Restart after you save the file.

This worked for me in Ubuntu 10.04, CrunchBang 9.04, CrunchBang Statler XFCE and Mint 8 XFCE. It didn't work in CrunchBang Statler openbox version. If you happen to be running openSUSE, the solution is slightly different, and can also be found in the forum reference above.
4sound
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: windows xp

Post by 4sound »

Well I finally found a solution,
is anyone aware how to port this solution to windows?
archguest
Guest OSses: Arch Linux

Post by archguest »

This solution didn't work for me. It's Arch Linux guest on Snow Leopard host, VirtualBox 3.2.8.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

4sound wrote:is anyone aware how to port this solution to windows?
perhaps, http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22229
It is old , but . . .

Best of Luck