VERR_SSM_UNEXPECTED_DATA

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
lyxus
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: xp

VERR_SSM_UNEXPECTED_DATA

Post by lyxus »

Hello,

I am running the last version of Virtual Box on a MacosX.

I just update it... For some reasons, i cannot save the machine state with my WinXp guest...
But i can with my fedora guest...

Any pointer ?

Attached is the full error.

Thanks
Attachments
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (39.63 KiB) Viewed 8459 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VERR_SSM_UNEXPECTED_DATA

Post by Perryg »

You need to do what it is telling you to do. discard the saved state. (you might want to make a backup of the VDI before doing this).
To do this right click the VM in the VBox GUI and select discard. This will be like pulling the power plug on a real PC.
Or you can revert back to the previous version, properly shutdown the VM and then update again.
For future reference, it is never a good idea updating when your virtual machines are not shut down.
lyxus

Post by lyxus »

Perryg,

I did but i have the same behaviour every times.

I discard it and lauch the Virtual box, after that when i save the "state", i have the same error message ....
lyxus

Post by lyxus »

No one ?
RFK
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP Home

Post by RFK »

For what it's worth, I get this message too. I'm a new VirtualBox user, so I don't have any advice. (But I'm willing to take it!)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

What are the exact guest settings that you have and the host memory, hard disk free space, and CPU.
RFK

Post by RFK »

Perryg wrote:What are the exact guest settings that you have and the host memory, hard disk free space, and CPU.
Host processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Host memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Host hard disk available: 224.9 GB
Attachments
Windows Settings.jpg
Windows Settings.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Perryg wrote:What are the exact guest settings that you have and the host memory, hard disk free space, and CPU.???
I know the information I am asking for probably does not matter to you but I need to know what we are dealing with. While this may actually be a bug I need to be sure that it is not a configuration error or something not set properly.
RFK

Post by RFK »

You're too fast for me! Please see my edited prior post. Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Do you have other snapshots that are saved of this VM?

It may be something as simple as the information not being saved in the xml files when you discard the snapshot.

Do this the next time you try to start the machine and it gives you this error:
Go ahead and discard the machine snapshot but do not start the VM. Close VBox completely down! Everything including the main program so it will force a write to the main file. Then open VBox and see if it will work properly. If not let me know.
RFK

Post by RFK »

Perryg wrote:Do you have other snapshots that are saved of this VM?
Yes.
Perryg wrote:Do this the next time you try to start the machine and it gives you this error:
Go ahead and discard the machine snapshot but do not start the VM. Close VBox completely down! Everything including the main program so it will force a write to the main file. Then open VBox and see if it will work properly. If not let me know.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding completely:

I close the VM in a saved state. When I try to open it I get the "Failed to start" message. (It now says "(VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH)" at the bottom.) I do not start the VM, but discard the machine snapshot from the GUI. The GUI changes the machine from "Saved" to "Powered Off". I close VBox completely down. I open VBox. But I can't start the VM from "Saved" because it has been changed to "Powered Off". The VM powers up okay. If I close the VM in a saved state again, I still get the "Failed to start" message when I try to open the saved state.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

That is exactly what I wanted you to do and tells me a lot. It means that you may have a situation that the developers need to take a look at.
At the bottom of my post there is a link to bugtracker. You need to click that and post a ticket there to see what can be done about this. You will need to setup an account there though because this account is not tied to them. You must send them a copy of the log from VB so be sure you do this and pretty much tell them everything that you have done and include the information from your last post as it tells the most. Take your time and be as complete as you can. Keep us posted here as well so others will benefit.
RFK

Post by RFK »

Thanks. Ticket #3984 (http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3984) seems to be a duplicate of this problem.