Guest in own Console, switch via "<Alt>+<F-Ke

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
georgf.d

Post by georgf.d »

Hi,
is it possible to run the virtual machine in a own console.
My Idea is, that Gnome is still available via "Alt+F8"( for example) and the normal start enviroment.
and when i use the shortcut "Alt +F9" (for example) the vm will be there in Fullscreen mode.
Is it possible to get the vm to run in an own "Console Level" that i can switch directly between the Linux and the virtualized Win Desktop??
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

If you can somehow launch Virtual Box from the command line, your solution could be to issuethe command 'xinit VirtualBox -- :1' or something similar.
The 'xinit' command opens an X server session and starts a program within it. The command is 'VirtualBox' and all what is before the double dash '--'. Then, there are the options which are passed to X server. Here there is just one, ':1', which is like 'localhost:1.0' and which means that this X server must be bound to the display "1" in the local host (your PC). Your first X session, instead, is on the display "0". The new display can be accessed with the next '<Alt>+<F#>' available combination, most likely <Alt>+<F8>. In the new session you do not have Gnome, just X, which is not as friendly in allowing the windows to be resized or moved.
Question: is really that what you want? isn't it better to move the virtual machine in another workspace and keep it there?
georgf.d

Post by georgf.d »

Question: is really that what you want? isn't it better to move the virtual machine in another workspace and keep it there?
The main Problem i see with the VM in another Workspace is, that if i'm using Compiz Fusion etc/ with the Cube etc it wont work quite smooth and be very buggy with the Shortkeys.
But i'll have a try on it tomorrow.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I have Compiz too, and it works just fine with VBox on fullscreen on one side of the cube. The VM does capture the keyboard when you switch to the VM side, but that can be solved by pressing the Host key.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.