Strange USB Issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bsurfin
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP, Ubuntu 10.04, Debian, Kubuntu 10.10

Strange USB Issue

Post by bsurfin »

I'm Running Kubuntu 10.04, with Virtual Box 3.2.6 r63112, it's not the OSE version. I can put almost anything into the usb and it just works, Excpet My Brother MFC-7420 is greyed out and I need that connection to install the driver in my virtual Win XP Machine. I can plug other usb drives, printers, a HP All in one, they just work, What can I do To Make this Brother MFC-7420 work ?
I have already made sure I joined groups: vboxusers, LP, LPAdmin, Plugdev, Users, I have guest additions installed, I've tweaked the filters to the inth degree. before tweaking anything all I had done is installed VBox, Guest additions, then added myself to the vboxusers group and vioala, I had USB working. "All Except the Brother MFC-7420" "Please Help" :(
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Strange USB Issue

Post by Perryg »

Some USB printers just don't work properly. In that case I simply share the printer and connect to it via the network. Samba should handle this for you.
bsurfin

Post by bsurfin »

The Brother MFC-7420 is an all-in-one, as far as I can find, there is no Linux Compatibility at all whatsoever, So I really need to be able to enable the usb so it can pass through to Windows XP on Virtual Box. I'm really hoping there is a way to make it work.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

I would try to check some drivers around it, so for MFC-6x to 8x. Sometimes devices are comaptible and you get it to work.
bsurfin

Post by bsurfin »

I'll check it out, maybe this would keep it from staying greyed out and allow it to pass through Virtual Box and make it accessable to windows XP in VBox. I was just hoping there may be a known udev rule I could add that would un-grey it or something and make it accessible through VBox.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

The native way is the best way. Printing through VM is a crappy way.
Tzi
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: 3.2.6

Post by Tzi »

If native printing is NOT an option... is it possible to pass-through the USB printer to the VM, even if the host doesnt recognise it?

EDIT: posted my own thread as I suspect it will not stay on track with this one.
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33607