VirtualBox 3.2 and Windows 7 32-bit guest install problems

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lnozot

Re: VirtualBox 3.2 and Windows 7 32-bit guest install problems

Post by lnozot »

We identified a bug which can cause data corruption. It happens with VDI images only and only if the image is growing. Because we are still unable to reproduce the issue it would be great if you would try the testbuild below. Thanks for your help!

Linux / 32-bit hosts
Linux / 64-bit hosts
Are these still valid test builds or are they no longer valid due to 3.2.4?

Thanks!
aeichner
Oracle Corporation

Post by aeichner »

We further investigated this and are able to reproduce data corruption if the image is on a ext4 partition. ext4 contained a bug which could lead to data corruption under certain circumstances. The Linux kernel used in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx doesn't contain the fix so far.
Can you please try with 3.2.4 and store the image on another filesystem (ext3 for example)?
xtknight
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 x64, Windows XP x64

Post by xtknight »

Hi,

I've got an Ubuntu Lucid 64-bit host and also a CPU with vmx support (Core i7). Motherboard is ASUS P6T Deluxe. kvm modules are not loaded on Ubuntu, and should not interfere with VMX.

I'm trying to run a Windows 7 64-bit guest on VirtualBox 3.2.4 r62467. I've tried installing it at least five times. One time it succeeded but after that I just got random errors.

I ran memtest86+ inside of the VM and there were no errors reported. I am almost certain this is either a VT-x issue or hard drive controller problem.

All the errors I get could have been caused by the VT-x feature or the hard drive controller. One time I got KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR and other times I just get messages saying a file is corrupt and the Windows installation has to stop.

I have tried with and without nested paging, PAE/NX, 1 cpus, 2 cpus, video memory adjustments, 2d/3d acceleration, Host I/O caching on the cd (booting from an ISO) and hard drive, on an ext4 mdRAID5 and xfs non-raid partition. A SCSI controller. A PIIX4. An ICH6. Nothing fixes it. I obviously haven't tried all permutations of those, but I've tried a lot of things. I tried increasing the RAM from 1024MB to 1536, doesn't fix it. There is nothing in any log that I've seen. The bug is deep down in there somewhere.

Why would this be a 64-bit issue? My Windows 7 32-bit guest doesn't have a single error.

I've run Windows 7 64-bit guests under VIrtualBox before with no issues (on older Ubuntu hosts, on "Sun VirtualBox" before the Oracle switchover). I did update my BIOS since then, but honestly, I doubt it's this, anyway. My motherboard has been rock solid and every problem I've ever had was a software one.

Each time I'm allocating a 40 GB disk dynamically on either ext4(thru MDRAID) or xfs. I then tried allocating a 20 GB fixed disk on my xfs partition, and that also failed.

I did not try the patch posted here because I statically allocated my disk and it still happened.

Every time I am reading an ISO from disk. I am going to try and burn the ISO and use my actual CD drive.
Strange Bug: 1
Me: 0

If you want any sort of background on any component in my computer, let me know, but I posted what I felt was pertinent here. I will also file a bug report and linkback to here.

Bug report: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6976
LinuxPhreak
Guest OSses: Win 98, Win Me, Win2000, WinXP, Win Vista, Win 7, Red Hat, BSD, Solaris

Post by LinuxPhreak »

I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.10 with VirtualBox 3.2.4 and I'm trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and I'm having the same problem. I was able to do it fine with fixed disk. However do to my testing that I'm doing I would like to really get it to work with the dynamic disk.

I hope this problem gets fixed. I surely hope you guys aren't ignoring the Ubuntu 9.10 versions, because upgrading at this point in time is not an option.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

LinuxPhreak, the devs found out that it only occurs if you have IO Cache disabled in the VM settings. This is now the default for new VMs and the SATA controller, so if you want to use SATA, make sure you enable IO cache for the controller.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
LinuxPhreak
Guest OSses: Win 98, Win Me, Win2000, WinXP, Win Vista, Win 7, Red Hat, BSD, Solaris

Post by LinuxPhreak »

Sasquatch wrote:LinuxPhreak, the devs found out that it only occurs if you have IO Cache disabled in the VM settings. This is now the default for new VMs and the SATA controller, so if you want to use SATA, make sure you enable IO cache for the controller.
I remember reading something about the IO Cache but wasn't sure if that was certain the problem. Thanks