Ubuntu 9.04 usb issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
firewall_03
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Ubuntu 9.04 usb issue

Post by firewall_03 »

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and virtual box 3.0.0 and my guest machine is Windows 7 I can't get my usb devices to mount in Windows 7 they show up but they are greyed out, they seemed to work fine when I ran 2.2.4 and usb Windows XP any suggestions?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 usb issue

Post by Perryg »

Did you also update the guest additions in the Windows 7 VM?
firewall_03

Post by firewall_03 »

Perryg wrote:Did you also update the guest additions in the Windows 7 VM?
What are the steps for that?

It did work with windows XP when I had 2.2.4 on my computer but I had to reformat and reinstall everything in ubuntu
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

If you start the guest and click on devices (top left of the Guest window) you will see install guest additions. Click on that to install them. If nothing happens then click devices and unmount CD/DVD and then click on install guest additions. Once they are installed you need to reboot.

You can read more about this by clicking on the VirtualBox program and then help / content. The users guide will explain this all to you.
firewall_03

Post by firewall_03 »

I will look through there, but it might be a little advanced for me
irv
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP SP1

Post by irv »

I have the same problem. I am running host Ubuntu 9.04, guest WinXP SP1. I have no USB working since I installed 3.0 yesterday. I have read everything I could find since early this morning, and I still have not got it going.
Would it be nice to have a Howto setup USB on Virtualbox 3.0. I read all the doc's also, and I have not figure it out yet. Maybe I am just missing something.
I am not sure how to setup Device Filters for USB, and am not sure if I need to do this? Do I need to set a port in the USB filter Details dialog box? I made sure I am a member of vboxusers and usbusers groups.
Where do I go from here?
irv

Post by irv »

One addition to the post above: When I open the guest OS and click on the USB icon on the bottom of the window it says: "No USB Devices Attached". And I have four things attached.
A Keyboard, mouse, 1TB USB Drive, and a 4GB USB memory stick. The keyboard and mouse work great, but the two drives are not even seen.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Your profile states that you are using the OSE version and that will not work for USB You need the PUEL version for that.

See VirtualBox FAQ for more information. Look at the USB section.
irv

Post by irv »

My profile was wrong. My mistake. I changed it so it is right now.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Very well. Click the link I sent you and see if this will help. Once you have the devices readable in Ubuntu then you can get them to work in the guest.

Also when it comes to the point of USB in Windows. The easiest way is to enable the USB support in the Guest settings of VBox and not set any filters. Then after you boot up the guest you can select it from the devices tab and USB.
irv

Post by irv »

Also when it comes to the point of USB in Windows. The easiest way is to enable the USB support in the Guest settings of VBox and not set any filters. Then after you boot up the guest you can select it from the devices tab and USB.
I have tried this, and when I go to select them, they are all greyed out. I have never had a problem with USB in the host. When I plug them in they just appear. I must be missing something here? I will read more. I thought it might be a rights thing, but I have right to everything when it comes to USB.
irv

Post by irv »

Under the documentation it says:
To get USB support, you need the PUEL (non-free) version. Via the GUI, there is an option to enable USB.

For Jaunty you need to add a line to your /etc/fstab file. Just add this to your /etc/fstab file.

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

then run

sudo mount -a

Furthermore, your user must be able to access /proc/bus/usb/*
I have the line in my /etc/fstab file but I have "devgid=85".
When I go to /proc/bus/usb I do not have any usbfs. Is there something missing?
I also did a mount -a but nothing seem to happen.
And last I do have access right to /proc/bus/usb/*.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I seem to remember that Win XP Sp1 had problems with USB 1/2.
It has been a long time but if I remember correctly it was resolved with a service pack update. Now I don't know if this is your problem but you can check further.
Is there a reason why you do not have at least SP2? Here is a link to Microsoft to check it out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
irv

Post by irv »

Yes, When I went to upgrade to SP2 it crash and I had to reinstall WinXP. The only CD install I have is WinXP SP1.
I am afraid to try the upgrade again because if it crashes again I will have to start all over again. But if this is my problem I may have to.
I can't get the share folder to work either. so Maybe you are right.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I need to ask if you have installed the new guest additions. They are needed for the shared folder and USB to work.
For your update, you can make a snapshot of the VM before you try the update. If it fails you can revert back to the snapshot.
Also in this release (3.0.0) a lot of people have been complaining about network performance with the PCnet adapter in Windows and have needed to change to the IntelPRO/1000 to get it to work properly. This may require that you have the drivers for the IntelPRO/1000 handy and accessible to the guest either by shared folder or by being on a CD/DVD.