SDL version arrow keys abnormality

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
komealy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXPSP3, openSUSE

SDL version arrow keys abnormality

Post by komealy »

I found that the arrow keys in the SDL version of VBox don't function as arrow keys. The down arrow sends the Windows key to the guest; Up, Left, right, pgup, pgdn, home, end, insert, and delete do other things that I'm not 100% sure of (if anything at all). I was wondering if there was anyway to make them work other than turning off the numlock and using the numpad for arrow and pg functions (which does work, but I doubt anyone "usually" does that since both are on a "normal" keyboard). I'm also curious to why this is the case.
I am using Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04 amd64) as the host system and WinXPSP3 (32 bit) as the guest, and running the virtual machine using the VBoxSDL command.
Thanks in advance for any help.
--Kris
komealy
Guest OSses: WinXPSP3, openSUSE

Re: SDL version arrow keys abnormality

Post by komealy »

Looks like I found my own answers yet again... There is a --evdevkeymap option that you add onto the end of your VBoxSDL command that allows the arrows, Windows keys, and the Numpad to all work "normally".
--Kris
DalaiDakkar

Post by DalaiDakkar »

thanks man i was looking for this solution! :mrgreen: now I can use ubuntu in windows ...almost fullscreen the best solution to use linux and windows at the same time.

Regards!
vsimeonov
Guest OSses: WXP SP2, openSUSE11.1, Ubuntu9.04, Debian 5.0

Post by vsimeonov »

What is the design consideration not to have the "normal" behaviour enabled by default? Probably there is some good reason, but I don't know it :D Btw I plugged an external full-size (i.e. non-laptop) usb kbd and there the arrow keys worked, but not always. And the external kbd sometimes didn't work in VB at all.