Slow text scrolling with VirtualBox 2.2.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Chasake

Slow text scrolling with VirtualBox 2.2.0

Post by Chasake »

After installing 2.2.0 the scrolling of (at least) text in a windows is much slower than in 2.1.4. When I roll the mouse the CPU load goes to 100% and my processor clocks up to max speed. Even when I just 'enter' newlines in a text editor the cpu goes to 100% and clocks up. I tried updating the Virtual Box Guest Additions, but that does not solve the problem. Then I tried switching 3d acceleration off and on but that does not change anything either. In the end I reinstalled 2.1.4 and things are just fine again. I have only tried this in an IDE (IAR Embedded Workbench) and have not confirmed if the same problem occurs when for instance typing in notepad. I just need to do some coding right now so I switched back to 2.1.4 but I will try to isolate the problem a little more later.

I'm running virtualbox in Ubuntu Intrepid 64 bit with a 32 bit Windows XP client. Furthermore I'm running a Xinerama setup with an ATI HD4850. Some programs complain that it does not support xrandr extensions, so maybe if I switch Xinerama off, it might be ok, but in 2.1.4 there is no problem with this setup.

Anyone else has the same problem, should I file a bug report?
ziacik
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Slow text scrolling with VirtualBox 2.2.0

Post by ziacik »

I can confirm this. The problem is occurring in Visual Studio 2008 editor and in Notepad too. After going back to 2.1.4 the scrolling is ok.

Using Windows XP guest on Linux Mint 6 host both 32bit.
Muts

Post by Muts »

This is the same problem that I have posted in this thread:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16388
Chasake

Post by Chasake »

I can confirm that the same problem persists in Virtualbox 2.2.2, now running on Jaunty AMD64. Going back to 2.1.4, everything is OK again...
DrSobik
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP2

Post by DrSobik »

Hello. I confirm that starting from VirtualBox version 2.2.0 Windows XP SP2 guest system is running slowly. Poor performance is seen even when dragging windows on the WinXP desktop. The same problem is present in VBox 2.2.2. That was not the case with VBox 2.1.4. My host system is openSUSE 11.1 (2.6.27.21-0.1-pae). I think I'm going to roll back to VirtualBox-2.1.4 again. Hope this problem will be fixed in the future releases.
Chasake

Post by Chasake »

In my bug report (http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3900) 'Frank' suggests to start VirtualBox with the option '--mode sdl'. For me this solves the problem.