VirtualBox 2.1.2 time fluctuations with Red Hat 5 Update 2 x

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sdelcore

VirtualBox 2.1.2 time fluctuations with Red Hat 5 Update 2 x

Post by sdelcore »

I am running VirtualBox 2.1.2 on Vista 64bit with a RedHat 5 Update 2 64-bit guest and have noticed that the time keeps moving forward. I am not having the same problem with my 32-bit XP guest. Does anyone know wht the problem is and if there is a fix or is this a known bug?

Thanks!
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

If you install the GA, the Guest will sync it's time every few minutes with the host.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
sdelcore

Post by sdelcore »

What is GA?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Short for Guest Additions.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
costing

Post by costing »

GA don't help. In the default configuration (10 seconds between time syncs - who's 10 seconds btw?!) the clock inside guest fluctuates with tens of seconds back and forth.

Starting vboxadd-timesync with --interval 1 helps, but it's still a few seconds wrong. Now, 0.1 is much better, the clock is just ~10-20 seconds behind, but keeping almost a straight flow.

Almost is the key word. In fact the time still fluctuates, one second back corrections, and this still causes "make" for example to crash. And since we're using the virtual machines to build software, it's a complete disaster. They never make it to finish compiling all the software.

I'm terribly disappointed by this behavior, and the fact that there is no reaction yet to this bug being reported.
baf
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Post by baf »

Try disabling all other time related services, ntp ...
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
costing

Post by costing »

I've tried all the possible combinations, ntpd or no ntpd, vboxadd-timesync or not ... The guest just runs too fast, all the animations are too fast, keystrokes show maaaaaaaany times the same letter if the hit is not brief enough, it's just hooked on another time line :)

However, this seems to be related to older kernels. I don't have yet enough statistics for this, but an OpenSuSE 11.1 (2.6.27.7-9) runs just fine, while two RH-based distributions with 2.6.9 and 2.6.18 show this weird race.
TrevorPH

Post by TrevorPH »

costing wrote:I've tried all the possible combinations, ntpd or no ntpd, vboxadd-timesync or not ... The guest just runs too fast, all the animations are too fast, keystrokes show maaaaaaaany times the same letter if the hit is not brief enough, it's just hooked on another time line :)

However, this seems to be related to older kernels. I don't have yet enough statistics for this, but an OpenSuSE 11.1 (2.6.27.7-9) runs just fine, while two RH-based distributions with 2.6.9 and 2.6.18 show this weird race.
You could try adding kernel options 'noapic nolapic nosmp' to the guest kernel command line. Those together with use of ntpd solved time issues for me with VMWare.
costing

Post by costing »

Thanks TrevorPH! Adding the kernel options fixed the problem on older kernels.