very high dpc latency w7 64 bit vbox 4.0.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gijs007
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows server 2003 r2 32 bit

very high dpc latency w7 64 bit vbox 4.0.2

Post by gijs007 »

hello im new to these forums but I have got a issue with virtual box, im using virtual box to run windows server 2003 r2 enterprise edition 32 bit, cause my Halo custom edition servers crash a lot on any 64 bit os.

im using virtual box 4.0.2.0 with the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack.
I have got the virtual pc set up and it works its running as a background service at system boot.
however it takes 10-30 sec to connect with remote desktop, the servers start very slow, and the cpu usage is high.
on the host os the issue im having: I want to use the host os, and I can but the dpc latency's are very bad absolute max is: 70127(checked with dpc latency checker)

im running on a intel core 2 quad q6600 at 3.6 ghz with intel vt technology on, off doesn't make a difference.

the dpc latency's start to get up to 2000-4000 at the boot of the virtual machine(bios) when windows is starting it go's down and then go's up a lot, and when my user account is loged in and the halo servers start and run the dpc latency go's up to an average of 4000 with spikes that go of the border(+16000)
once all the servers have started and run the dpc latency drop to 1600-4000 (still high but no issues on host or servers except for gaming)

how can I reduce my dpc to normal levels, with virtual pc(windows xp mode for windows 7) I have a normal dpc latency of 100-200, same when using vmware but both programs can't use 4 cpu cores(vmware only supports 2 and virtual pc only 1)... and vmware can't connect to the internet for some reason.

I want to use this pc for gaming as well so I really need lower dpc latency's, with these latency's sometimes my mouse even go's sluggish, all of my games lag and music in windows media player cracks and pops.
host cpu load is around 70-90% while running the virtual box.
RetupmocSoft
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Re: very high dpc latency w7 64 bit vbox 4.0.2

Post by RetupmocSoft »

exit dpc latency checker
and
re-launch again

is still very high dpc report again ?
gijs007

Post by gijs007 »

yes, I even notice it ingame!

however im now using vmware workstation and my dpc latency is back to normal and I can even play games while running vmware :D
gijs007

Post by gijs007 »

I have upgraded my pc to a intel 2600K the dpc latency without any virtual machine software running on the host os is around 50-200.

when im using virtual box 4.0.8 I am still having high dpc latency's 400-1500 with a maximum of 2569, when im using vmware my dpc latency's are again 50-200.
doveman
Guest OSses: XP, Linux

Post by doveman »

My experience is the opposite. With Virtualbox 4.1.8 installed my dpc latency is fine (had to uninstall Outpost Security Suite and use Comodo instead though, as OSS was causing dpc latency problems) but I've just installed VMware and that's causing major dpc latency problems. Disabling both NICs VMware installed helped a lot but they were still happening quite frequently until I also killed all the VMware services.

I haven't tested with actually running a virtual machine in either, but obviously if VMware's causing problems just being installed it's no good!