Unable to shut down or save state properly

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hackerNovitiate
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.0.4

Unable to shut down or save state properly

Post by hackerNovitiate »

Hi all,

I started running Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit) as a guest OS in VBox since the day 10.04 was released. My host system is Win7 Pro (32-bit). I've been through many VBox upgrades but none of them had any negative effects, until I upgraded from 3.1.8 to 3.2.4. For each upgrade I did, I simply ran the Windows installer, without uninstalling the older version of VBox first.

Now, every time I save the machine state and restore it, I get a blank white screen instead of the Ubuntu desktop. In this condition, "Send the shut down signal" does nothing, but "Power off the machine" closes it fine.

Also, whenever I shut down the guest (after starting from the 'powered off' state'), Ubuntu displayed the usual messages as it shut down the various modules, and the VBox 'control panel' says that the machine has transitioned from "Running" to "Powered off". But, I then get the crash message "VirtualBox GUI has stopped working". There seems to be different reasons for crashing -- Here is a dump from two of the crashes (the first one blames VirtualBox.exe, the second one blames QtCoreVBox4.dll):

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: VirtualBox.exe
Application Version: 3.2.4.0
Application Timestamp: 4c0e29f0
Fault Module Name: VirtualBox.exe
Fault Module Version: 3.2.4.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c0e29f0
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00127097
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: b804
Additional Information 2: b80454cc42ecac28e0b25e0611d32a5e
Additional Information 3: b73f
Additional Information 4: b73fa153c68b725edfb86b319f56b045

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: VirtualBox.exe
Application Version: 3.2.4.0
Application Timestamp: 4c0e29f0
Fault Module Name: QtCoreVBox4.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.4.3.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 49d69e8b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000144f4
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: b804
Additional Information 2: b80454cc42ecac28e0b25e0611d32a5e
Additional Information 3: b73f
Additional Information 4: b73fa153c68b725edfb86b319f56b045

What's going on, and how can I fix it? Thanks!
hackerNovitiate

Re: Unable to shut down or save state properly

I tried a full uninstall and fresh reinstall, but the problem was still there.

I reverted to version 3.1.8 and it works fine again. I think I'll just stick to the older version for now.
jhemstreet
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: CentOS,Fedora

Post by jhemstreet »

I am also having a very similar issue.

I upgraded to 3.2.4 from 3.1.8 running host Windows XP and a CentOS 5.4 guest. If I shut down (poweroff) the guest it starts fine, but when I save the state and try to restart, I get a small window in the top left corner... when I expand this window it shows blank and never changes until I close (shutdown/power-off). Then I can start the VM normally from a powered-off state.

Are we the only people seeing this? I have not seen any other messages or errors similar.

I hate to revert to 3.1.8, I like the automatic screen resize capability for the CentOS VM with the older kernel.
hackerNovitiate

Yes, that's what happened to me when I tried to open a saved state: The white window initialized at the extreme top-left, and the title bar was off-screen. Did your VirtualBox crash when you shut down CentOS?

I wonder if things would be different if we had installed versions 3.2.0 and 3.2.2 first? I'll try that in a few days' time, if nobody else can find out the cause of the problem. I couldn't find anybody else who's experiencing this, on Google.
JochenT
Guest OSses: Gentoo Linux

Post by JochenT »

Hi,

I am having the same problem after upgrading from 3.2.2 to 3.2.4. In 3.2.2 everything worked fine, but with 3.2.4 I can not restore saved states with the same symptoms described above (white window etc). Forcing a machine shutdown and then restarting the powered down machine works fine.

I am on a Windows 7 64bit host and the machine in question runs Gentoo Linux with KDE and 3D effects enabled (used to work just fine with 3.2.2). I usually use the machine in windowed mode with mouse integration. The machine window would have been maximised at the time I saved the state. I am now reverting back to 3.2.2 to see if that fixes the issue and will report back if it does.

I also attach two machine logs. VBox.log.2 is the one where I saved the state that could not be restored later (note one error message towards the end, but I don't know if that is relevant). VBox.log.1 is the unsuccessful attempt at restoring the state. Nothing strange in that one as far as I can tell (until where I forced a shutdown that is).

Hope that helps somebody to find the problem.

Cheers, Jochen
Attachments
VBox.log.1.txt
log file of failed attempt to restore saved state
(63.67 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
VBox.log.2.txt
log file saving the state that fails to restore
(63.28 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

These kinds of problems that are reproducible should be reported to bugtracker. You will need to setup an account there as it is on a different system.
It would also help if you can post the ticket number here so other can see the progress, add information, or see the final results.
JochenT
Guest OSses: Gentoo Linux

Post by JochenT »

Reported as requested:

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7032

For the record, reverting back to 3.2.2 solves the problem for me, although there was some weirdness on the first machine start after reverting to 3.2.2. See the ticket above for more details.
Soulatial

Post by Soulatial »

Just for the record. On Win XP SP3 as Host and Guest same thing happens. Its very annoying.
hackerNovitiate

Thanks for reporting, JochenT.

Did anyone else experience crashes after using the "shut down" signal?
Leak
Guest OSses: Debian Testing, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003/2008 R2

Post by Leak »

JochenT wrote:Reported as requested:

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7032

For the record, reverting back to 3.2.2 solves the problem for me, although there was some weirdness on the first machine start after reverting to 3.2.2. See the ticket above for more details.
I appended this to the ticket above already, but for me hitting HOST+F twice to get the VM into fullscreen and back fixes things, though you might have to right-click the VM in the VB GUI and choose "Show" to get the focus back on the window if neccessary.
whstrain
Guest OSses: XP SP3

Post by whstrain »

Leak wrote:I appended this to the ticket above already, but for me hitting HOST+F twice to get the VM into fullscreen and back fixes things, though you might have to right-click the VM in the VB GUI and choose "Show" to get the focus back on the window if neccessary.
This did not resolve the issue for me. HOST+F twice gets some video back but the screen was resized down to a postage stamp with no way to change it.

But un/reinstalling the guest tools ha fixed the issue through multiple save/restore cycles. Ticket updated.
Snolen
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Ubuntu

Post by Snolen »

A clue on this issue:
If you look into the VM .xml file, you will see something like:

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion" value="0,0,0,0,max"/>

This is causing the small blank windows on VM start.
Compared with other VM, found:

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion" value="4,30,904,699,max"/>

If you change the first one with this, you will get the VM window restored correctly, but after one or two save state & start roundtrips, the xml reverts to "0,0,0,0,max".

The solution described by Leak is also what I found to bypass the error.

Regards.
Leak
Guest OSses: Debian Testing, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003/2008 R2

Post by Leak »

You might want to append that information to ticket #7032 so it doesn't get lost...

(EDIT: nevermind, I already did it...)
stmcallister
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by stmcallister »

Running VB 3.2.8 I'm still experiencing something very similar to this. When saving my state the VM image usually comes back fine the next time. However, if my VM is running and I close my laptop the VM will be blank when I awaken the machine. The only way out is to Power Off the image but afterwards Ubuntu fails to boot properly. After that I have to fully rebuilt a new image from scratch.

Are these symptoms close enough to be included in the already logged ticket, or would this be an entirely different issue?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

stmcallister wrote:Running VB 3.2.8 I'm still experiencing something very similar to this. When saving my state the VM image usually comes back fine the next time. However, if my VM is running and I close my laptop the VM will be blank when I awaken the machine. The only way out is to Power Off the image but afterwards Ubuntu fails to boot properly. After that I have to fully rebuilt a new image from scratch.
Are these symptoms close enough to be included in the already logged ticket, or would this be an entirely different issue?
What you are describing is the same thing as pulling the plug on the guest. It is a know issue and the suggested process is to (at the very least) click on the pause or better yet save the state.