Host hangs on launch

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rbrown26
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: CentOS; Fedora; Server 2008 (64-bit); Win XP SP3

Host hangs on launch

Post by rbrown26 »

Hey everyone,

I'm experiencing a problem where my host system hangs when I try to launch VirtualBox using my desktop shortcut. Once I double-click the shortcut, the host system hangs. My HD light blinks like crazy, but I can't start any other programs and the mouse becomes unresponsive. I can't even start the Task Manager to kill the process, I have to hard-reset the machine to get control back.

My host OS is Vista Personal and I was using VirtualBox 3.0.12. It was working as of last Wednesday (Jan 6th), but stopped working yesterday (Jan 11th). The only things that I did with my system was install a program (RingCentral Call Controller). It looks like it also installed an update to the 2005 C++ redistributable. I tried uninstalling both of these items via the control panel, but the problem persisted, so I tried upgrading to Virtual Box 3.1.2; same result. Any ideas?

Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Host hangs on launch

Post by Perryg »

Try a system restore to a point just before you installed the program that you suspect caused this or to a point that you know it was working.
Once confirmed that it is working and before you install anything else tell Windows to create a new restore point.
rbrown26

Post by rbrown26 »

No luck on the system restore. I restored to a point from Tuesday, January 5th and I still have the same symptoms. Is there anything else I should try (short of re-installing the host OS)? Should I file a bug report?

Thanks again.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Typically restoring will bring Windows back together. Since it is not I suspect something more serious then VBox or the software you installed.
I would run a virus scanner with the latest definitions and see what it finds.
Only other thing would be to try turning off the USB completely in the guest settings in case that is what is capturing the mouse and not letting it go.
Also you state that you are using a desktop startup for your guest. Does this also hang when you use the VBox GUI (main program)?
rbrown26

Post by rbrown26 »

I ran my virus scan (AVG) with the most recent definitions and ran the Trend Micro HouseCall scanner. Neither found anything.

I don't think I can modify the guest settings because the main GUI won't even load. It just hangs as soon as I double-click the Virtual Box (C:\Program Files\Sun\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe) shortcut from my desktop.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Alright then let's see if re-installing and select repair will put it back like it should be.
If this does not do it I am out of ideas.
Right click on the install icon and left click on run as admin to make sure that the Windows ACL does not mess with the install.
rbrown26

Post by rbrown26 »

Perryg,

Unfortunately, the re-install didn't resolve the problem. Thanks for all of your help.
rbrown26

Post by rbrown26 »

Interesting to note that the GUI loads in Safe Mode. There must be some driver or other program that is interfering with VirtualBox. I'll post an update if I ever figure out what it is.