Virtualbox 3.1.0 - 2D Video Acceleration Grayed out

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DizzyC
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows XP

Virtualbox 3.1.0 - 2D Video Acceleration Grayed out

Post by DizzyC »

Just upgraded to VB 3.1.0 and noticed that the checkbox to 'Enable 2D Video Acceleration' is grayed out :(
Any ideas?
I have updated guest additions aswell but still no luck.
I have a Radeon X550 Video Card (not the newest i know but it sure as hell has 2D acceleration support :) .3D acceleration works well on my video card too).

I also have another annoying issue. Time on the guest machine(windows xp, windows 7) runs slow, it lags a few seconds behind in windows 7 and on windows XP with 2 processors one second in guest passes in 3-4 normal seconds. :) The sistem is not slowed down though... just the clock is way out of sync

Cheers!
Micky
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other

Re: Virtualbox 3.1.0 - 2D Video Acceleration Grayed out

Post by Micky »

I am glad someone else is having this problem. Is this a known issue possibly or maybe something I have setup incorrectly? I'm running Arch Linux here and all my modules are loaded... 3D acceleration still works correctly, it is just the newly added 2D Video Acceleration feature that is grayed out. It is not possible for me to put a check mark on this.

I was also curious if this 2D acceleration feature is supposed to now work with Aero in Windows 7. Or is this still a VBox video driver compatibility issue, Anyone know :?:

Thanks

Edit: Also just to add... I am using a Radeon X1550 if it matters.
zeckenleger
Guest OSses: XP

Post by zeckenleger »

2D acceleration is greyed out on my ubuntu host, too.
But only in my main login. On a different user-login I can select this feature!
Maybe this issue is associated with desktop-effects like compiz on the host machine.
zoomer69

Post by zoomer69 »

I'm experiencing this on my laptop with Windows Vista 32-bit host, Intel X4500 graphics, and Ubuntu & Windows XP guests.

I'm checking to see if a uninstall and reinstall fixes the issue.
zoomer69

Post by zoomer69 »

And, nada.
jfmenard

Post by jfmenard »

Same problem for me on Ubuntu host...
psidrum
Guest OSses: Win7RC Vista

Post by psidrum »

yup i got it too, ubuntu host as well
DizzyC

Post by DizzyC »

So nobody has a solution or at least an explanation? :(
I've tried launching VirtualBox as root(sudo) in case it was a permissions realated issue but it did not work as root either.

Another approach would be to try to enable 2D acceleration directly in the machine configuration file:
~/.VirtualBox/Machines/<machine>/<machine>.xml (where <machine> is the name of your virtual machine)
or C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\.VirtualBox\Machines\<machine>\<machine>.xml for windows hosts

The display configuration seems to be only this row:

Code: Select all

<Display VRAMSize="64" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="true"/>
I tried adding accelerate2D="true" but it did not help. I do not know the name of the attribute used to store this setting.
Maybe someone who has this setting enable could take a look and tell us what the attribute is.

Cheers people
Mr_Kaizer
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro

Post by Mr_Kaizer »

Same problem. Ubuntu 9.10 host, XP Pro SP 2 guest. I've reported this as a bug: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5753
Mr_Kaizer
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro

Post by Mr_Kaizer »

I managed to enable it in the ~/.VirtualBox/Machines/[name]/[name].xml file.

Code: Select all

<Display VRAMSize="16" monitorCount="1" accelerate3D="true" accelerate2DVideo="true"/>
It now shows as enabled.
misha

Post by misha »

VBox is using a separate VBoxTestOGL util executable to test the 2D & 3D support on linux.
The first thing to try is to launch it explicitly with enabled logging as mentioned in http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5753#comment:1 and see the log results.
Please attach logs to that bug report.
rernst
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by rernst »

Let me add to this my failure of 2D support. I am running the dkms-nvidia package (Nvidia supplied drivers) on a 9800GTX (which is recognized as such under the Display applet) on 64 bit CentOS 5.

It *does* allow for enabling of 3d support.

Surprisingly the Windows guest (DXDIAG) reports Directdraw acceleration enabled which I thought would be *the* 2D support.
misha

Post by misha »

rernst wrote:..Surprisingly the Windows guest (DXDIAG) reports Directdraw acceleration enabled which I thought would be *the* 2D support.
Windows guests support a small subset of DDraw functionality even with disabled 2D, so it is correct that dxdiag reports DDraw is supported.
Please attach the log produced by the "VBoxTestOGL --log <log_file_name> --test 2D" to http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5753 as mentioned in the first comment of that report in case you see 2D checkbox grayed out.
argd
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Linux misc

Post by argd »

Hi all. Not sure if someone still interested, but anyway. I have had the same issue: 3D worked OK, but not a 2D.
Although I ran VBox using sudo, 2D didn't work until I switched the whole X session to be started as root.
VBoxTestOGL showed there is something wrong with communication to nvidia drivers.
Hope, that helps.
afernie
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 2000, XP, 2003, 7, Centos 5.5

Post by afernie »

argd wrote:Hi all. Not sure if someone still interested, but anyway. I have had the same issue: 3D worked OK, but not a 2D.
Although I ran VBox using sudo, 2D didn't work until I switched the whole X session to be started as root.
VBoxTestOGL showed there is something wrong with communication to nvidia drivers.
Hope, that helps.
I've just encountered this issue for the first time after switching from Vista to Windows 7 as a Host, and with Windows 7 as a guest. It may not help some folks, but I installed the specific NVidia drivers for my card, as supplied by the card manufacturer. It appears that the drivers supplied with Windows 7 out of the box are not suitable.