VirtualBox 2.2.0 installation problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cyberkaly

Re: VirtualBox 2.2.0 installation problem

Post by cyberkaly »

I have the same problem, seems they didnt qualify the 2.20 version, will deinstall it and install 2.14 again.
Joacheg
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu

Post by Joacheg »

Hi i have the same Problem.

I downloaded Version 2.1.4, but now it seems that my virtual HDDs don't work anymore. What can I do?

It cannot handle the newer version of the xml-files.
dmazuronak
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win2k3

Post by dmazuronak »

I installed 2.2.0 as update, but after bridged notworking didn't work, i tried to uninstall it and install it back. Uninstalling was problemless, but i got unknown error during installation, it looks like windows doesn't like to install the Host-Only driver.
tdk

Post by tdk »

Same here on Vista Business x64!

It already cost me 1/2 a day of work and I'm getting more and more frustrated with SUN/VBox. It obviously is by no means ready for production. I had the same/similar issues since VBox 1.x with every update!

And even worse, 2.2 has such a serious problem with memory (see http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16411) that I now can only run 3 VMs instead of 6+ as I could (and need!) under 2.1.4.

I'm currently downloading VMware again, looks like I have to get back to that for serious work :evil:

Thomas
---

Host System: Dell E521, AMD Athlon X2 5600, 4GB RAM, Vista Business x64, Virtual Box 2.2.0
cyberkaly

Post by cyberkaly »

hi

I made a system restore, so I got a old version back to work.

delete the xml file, copy vdi files into a temp directory.. start Vm and create new profiles with the exsisting VDI files.
crhylove

Massive Issues!

Post by crhylove »

Well, I've been puttering around in 2.2.0 this morning, and there are MASSIVE issues!

Besides giving me the Yellow Triangle with ! in my task bar on my xp sp3 host, networking is broken altogether in every Windows VM. I've had several hard crashes of the Virtualbox GUI in both XP SP3 AND in Windows 7. I cannot hook up my Logitech controller to the VM, though it worked perfectly in previous releases.

It's so buggy and crashy I haven't tried too much else, but I will say:

1964 the Nintendo 64 emulator runs Mario Kart 64 perfectly! High speed, no lag, perfect image/sound. I did not test gameplay because my controller was not working as mentioned.

Quake 2 caused me to crash hard and have to reboot the VM (Power Off).

Exciting times indeed, but 2.2.0 is most definitely broken in a host of areas. I recommend you take it off the default download page immediately!
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

My experience with 2.2 on a WinXPsp3 32-bit host on Active Directory network, Solaris 10 guest with NAT networking.

Installed 2.2 over 2.1.4. With 2.2, guest could connect to web normally and to host (with new shared folders). However, host would boot 10x slower than before, and host-only networking icon in system tray showed no connectivity. Tried re-install of 2.2 with repair, and repair via Add/Remove programs, both to no effect. Then removed 2.2 completely via Add/Remove and rebooted. "Clean" install of 2.2 failed with rollback. Tried re-installing again, this time unchecking Vbox networking package. Install completed, everything works fine now, no host-only networking icon in system tray, normal host boot speed, guest STILL connects to web normally.

When 2.2.1 comes out, will an upgrade install re-add the Vbox networking, or will I have to do something fancy during the installation?
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

With my experience as evidence, Vbox networking is NOT REQUIRED if your guest uses NAT networking to connect, and thus shouldn't have been installed in the first place in my case. I REALLY wish that this fact was made apparent during the 2.2 install, thus saving me about 8 hours of wasted time and hassle. :roll:
rasta wrote:My experience with 2.2 on a WinXPsp3 32-bit host on Active Directory network, Solaris 10 guest with NAT networking.

Installed 2.2 over 2.1.4. With 2.2, guest could connect to web normally and to host (with new shared folders). However, host would boot 10x slower than before, and host-only networking icon in system tray showed no connectivity. Tried re-install of 2.2 with repair, and repair via Add/Remove programs, both to no effect. Then removed 2.2 completely via Add/Remove and rebooted. "Clean" install of 2.2 failed with rollback. Tried re-installing again, this time unchecking Vbox networking package. Install completed, everything works fine now, no host-only networking icon in system tray, normal host boot speed, guest STILL connects to web normally.

When 2.2.1 comes out, will an upgrade install re-add the Vbox networking, or will I have to do something fancy during the installation?
Someone4746

Post by Someone4746 »

The worst thing here is that NAT networking doesn't allways work in this release (2.2.0).
And since you can't install the vbox networking driver so you could use the bridged networking mode you have nothing to do.

Sheesh, where is 2.2.1 sun?
Martin13
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Server 2008

Post by Martin13 »

:(
killer64
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: windows xp professional

Post by killer64 »

i want an actual ip adress not my ethernet ip my REGULAR IP!!!!!!!!!!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

killer64 wrote:i want an actual ip adress not my ethernet ip my REGULAR IP!!!!!!!!!!
You want to explain this?
It makes no sense at all.