Guest-Additions 3.2.10 Script Broke - Can't Install In Arch

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
DasFox
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Guest-Additions 3.2.10 Script Broke - Can't Install In Arch

Post by DasFox »

Using VB 3.2.10 in Windows Guest XP Pro SP3, trying to follow either link below using Arch Linux 2010.05;

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi ... _Additions
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi ... as_a_guest

When I try to use the virtualbox-additions either the iso that comes with VB or by downloading it through pacman, when I go to install, it always fails building the kernel modules and in the virtualbox-install.log it gives me this error message

Kernel - configuration is invalid, include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing - Run 'make oldconfig && make proper on kernel src to fix it

Well the thing is I have the headers installed I ran, 'pacman -S kernel26-headers'

So it seems like there's something broken in this script.

Here are some screen shots showing this;

Then I try running like the log says, make oldconfig && make prepare but that craps out too;

So there seems to be a problem with this script saying the autoconf.h or auto.conf are missing when they're not.

From the failure it's saying to check the virtualbox-install-X11.log it's saying I need to add in VBoxClient-all in .xinitrc in the screen shot below;

THANKS

P.S. After posting this it seemed like everything was working fine, I was able to even get the resolution I wanted by editing that into xorg.conf, but then I noticed when I first started OpenBox which is all I installed it had a light brown color background which would disappear if I resized my VB window on my Windows desktop.

So I logged out back into the Linux console and noticed it said;

Module vboxvideo not found
[drm] drmOpen failed

Well I checked and vboxvideo is installed so not sure now what's up with this...

Also when I rebooted the console I noticed it was saying;

/etc/rc.d/functions - Line 201 file not found rc.VBoxService

So I made a symlink from rc.vboxadd-service to rc.VBoxService and I no longer see the message at reboot/shutdown, but not sure this is a correct fix.