Fedora 12 Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
zimmertyzim
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Fedora 12

Fedora 12 Guest Additions

Post by zimmertyzim »

Hi,

I'm currently running Windows XP SP3 with the latest version Fedora 12 all fully updated.

I've followed Sasquatch's guide (and many others) to install the Guest Additions but nothing seems to work.

When installing I get the following error:-

Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules [FAILED].
(Your system does not seem to be set up to build kernel modules.
Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong)

-- vboxadd-install.log reads:-

Makefile:23 *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR<directory> and run Make again... Stop.

I'm baffled! any ideas? thanks.

Everything else: X.Org Server 1.7 modules, Setting up the Window System to use Guest Additions and graphical libraries and desktop services components installed fine.
Last edited by zimmertyzim on 3. Jan 2010, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
zimmertyzim

Re: Fedora 12 Guest Additions

Post by zimmertyzim »

just a note, There seems to be no seamless integration despite the three successful install messages ([ OK ]) and guest additions telling me it's un-installing when I attempt another install.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Install kernel-devel and/or kernel-source.
pyuill

Post by pyuill »

This is a problem with versions of kernel and kernel-devel packages. Do a software update at least of the kernel, kernel-devel and kernel-headers (288 packages for a full update of my live CD install!), the package versions align and the problem was fixed for me.
zimmertyzim

Post by zimmertyzim »

stefan.becker wrote:Install kernel-devel and/or kernel-source.
I've followed a lot of guides and forum posts as I said, I've attempted to update and install these a million times. I don't think they're the issue. That said, if I try to install kernel-source the yum installer tells me there is no such package. I do have a /usr/src/kernel/2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686/ directory though.
pyuill wrote:This is a problem with versions of kernel and kernel-devel packages. Do a software update at least of the kernel, kernel-devel and kernel-headers (288 packages for a full update of my live CD install!), the package versions align and the problem was fixed for me.
I never thought to do a standard kernel update but still no luck. Such a mess! :)
zimmertyzim

Post by zimmertyzim »

stefan.becker wrote:What says "rpm -qa | grep kernel"?
kernel-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686
kernel-PAE-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686
kernel-firmware-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.noarch
abrt-plugin-kerneloopsreporter-1.0.0-1.fc12.i686
abrt-addon-kerneloops-1.0.0-1.fc12.i686
kernel-PAE-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686
kernel-devel-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686
kernel-headers-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686
kernel-PAE-devel-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686

looks like it has finally installed, yay! it appear i was missing kernel-PAE-devel as the Guest Additions seemingly installed without error after I ran yum install kerenl-PAE-devel. Time to reboot the system. What are all the kernels listed? Seems I have more than one. :)

many thanks.
zimmertyzim

Post by zimmertyzim »

2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686.PAE

It's weird. I knew it was a name/version mis-match just too blind to notice the PAE although I've never come across this kernel version whilst reading a wealth of threads and documentation.
zimmertyzim

Post by zimmertyzim »

stefan.becker wrote:OK, reason is clear?!
yep, crystal.

I just don't know what's with all the other kernel versions. :)
louc@comporium.net
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL

Post by louc@comporium.net »

I have the exact same problem listed here in this chain. Same errors, same PAE kernel, same fixes, but no results. After installing guest additions (which seems to go smoothly), and restarting, I can't boot into X. I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor. I can boot into the old kernel though. Has this been solved, can't tell from the last entries of the chain. Really frustrated.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

And you have done what exact? Your xorg.conf is ..?
louc@comporium.net
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL

Post by louc@comporium.net »

I've done all the things you suggested for Zimmertyzim. I received the same errors he did. I installed kernel-devel and kernel-source. My response from "rpm -qa | grep kernel" was exactly the same as his. The response to "uname -r" was also the same. When I tried to install guest additions again, everything went well. No more errors, etc. But then I restarted the VM, but no GUI. It looks as if it will boot properly with the Fedora progress bar. But just before the login screen is about to be presented, the screen goes black, and only a blinking cursor is visible.

I tried the verbose mode, and everything goes smoothly until it is "starting atd". Apparently the next step in the boot process is the problem, because the screen flashes 7 or 8 times and stops. From the boot screen I show 2 kernels:

kernel-PAE-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686
kernel-PAE-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686

I can still boot into the second one (5-127), but no guest additions, no xorg.conf. But the other (9-174) produces the results I described above. I'm new at this and am ready to give up on Fedora 12. By the way, I have none of these problems with Fedora 11. Can you help?
demis001

Post by demis001 »

Would you please guide me if you found a solution for the above described problem? I have exactly the same problem... I have installed the guest additions properly, after I boot the guest twice I have got the same black screen and the system unable halt before login screen. I have tried different versions of Fedora as a guest and found no luck to solve the problem. The problem, exactly the same as the one you described above.

Thanks for your response.....

I am exhausted and unable to run fedora guest on virtualbox within window 7 64 bit host!