Knoppix V6.0.1CD and Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
allendick

Knoppix V6.0.1CD and Guest Additions

Post by allendick »

I have the latest VBox version running on Vista Home Premium and decided to install the latest Knoppix release (Knoppix V6.0.1CD) into the VM. The install to disk went fine, but I find I am unable to install the Guest Additions. The messgage I get is:"Please install GNU make" and then some mention that " ...This system does not seem to have support for OpenGl direct rendering. VirtualBox requires Linux 2.6.27 or later for this..."

Is this something that is going to work out if I work at it? Or is it something that is doomed? The Knoppix runs well, but the screen resolution is driving me crazy since I have to scroll all over to do anything until I get the GAs installed. :(

Hints and suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Knoppix V6.0.1CD and Guest Additions

Post by Perryg »

Just do what it is telling you to do install GNU. Since it is Debian based you should be able to follow the instructions here and get it going Forum FAQ. You will not be able to use the 3Deffect until they update their kernel, but that is fluff anyway.
allendick

Post by allendick »

Thanks. It's good to know that it can be done. Problem is that I haven't figured out how to install make on this distro. I get errors and I have to do more scolling than typing until I get the additions on. I've done it before with other Linuxes, but the methods don't seem to work here.

I had looked in the FAQ and looked again now, and could see nothing that addresses this specific problem, especially as it is a Knoppix problem more than a VB problem -- and I haven't found the correct commands to overcome the errors.

One of the reasons I am installing Knoppix is to learn more about the commands, etc. Catch 22.

If anyone has been though this and can offer the process, I would be grateful.

TIA.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

I dont like Quiz Shows.

Give exact Infos, then we could help you. You only say 'doesnt work'.

Version, exact Error Messages, exact approach.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

@allendick

I am downloading it now and hopefully will have your answer tomorrow. I simply have been really busy and totally forgot to hook you up.

Edit:
So far I have found out the this is built on Debian Lenny
V6.0.0-2009-01-27/ADRIANE V1.1 (see also: Release Notes at http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix60-en.html)
- Complete rebuild from scratch, based on Debian/lenny (draft)

So this is going to make it easier for you. The only problem that I see is it is still based on KDE and that is going to cause a little more problems, but as I said I will be back tomorrow with the results
allendick

Post by allendick »

Thanks.

FWIW, and possibly of interest, I allowed the Knoppix installation on the HD to update over the Internet from the original configuration (thinking it might have better support for a variety of displays and perhaps bring in the features required for the GAs) and found it downloaded a massive amount of material and -- just accepting the defaults -- changed a lot. I noticed quite a few errors mentioning cloop-utils being absent as the update proceded, and figure I pretty well wrecked it.

I think that I'll reinstall Knoppix from the CD into a VM again to get back to the intended original stable form. Knoppix is intended to be run from a CD, so maybe the updates are less important in that situation, but updating an installed copy does not look like a simple job for someone just tinkering with it.

At any rate, that is all just an aside. Just gettin the Guest Additions working would make the installed copy far more usable, so any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

So far I have gotten it installed and updated.

First thing you should do is the update. In terminal type su to get to the root user then apt-get update. After that do apt-get upgrade. Don't worry about the missing files reported that is common.

Once this is complete then you need to open the synaptic file manager and remove the virtualbox-ose because you will want the PUEL version for virtualbox.org. I have not gotten that far yet but plan to tomorrow sometime.

More tomorrow.
allendick

Post by allendick »

OK. I still have the install. I didn't blow it away.

I did the update using Synaptic, though, not apt-get. Does that matter?

And now, after the upgrade, since I allowed some config files to be overwritten, thinking that was the thing to do, Synaptic wants a root password and there was none before...

I do see virtualbox-ose in the menus. It was there before, too. I assumed that was Virtualbox itself and figured I would not want to run Virtualbox inside and O/S in a VM. Don't what PUEl is. I'll look and see about that.

One thing, though, the Knoppix screen resolution is usable now after the update.

Thanks.

PS. OK. I looked up PUEL. Now, the Virtualbox-ose is in Knoppix, not my host O/S (Windows) which is running the VM. Am I going to use the Knoppix Virtualbox? Or should I be making sure my host is running the PUEL?
--------
(Later)

OK. I set the root pw and and opened the GA folder in Knoppix as root, executed the additions and the install ran to completion. It requested a reboot to complete the install. I rebooted Knoppix and the display is now scrambled.

I am going to bed.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

After I got a good version downloaded and installed it was really easy to install the GA,

First you need to do the update.
su then enter
  • apt-get update
  • apt-get upgrade
  • apt-get install dkms (this is the important part in knoppix)
  • you need to uninstall the virtualbox OSE that comes pre-installed (do this from synaptic to make it easy on yourself)
  • Then you click on the device tab of VBox and then install guest additions.
  • Open the file manager and cd rom
  • open a terminal and su enter
  • Then right click on the VirtualBox*******.run select copy
  • Right click in the terminal and select paste.
It will install and complete and you will need to reboot.
allendick

Post by allendick »

Thanks. I'll have to try that. What I did worked, but the display is scrambled after I installed the GAs. I did not uninstall the VB, though since I figured it didn't have anything to do with the GAs.

Busy now, but will have to start again from scratch, I suppose. Any comments on how I went about it? Any ideas why the display scrambles after the machine boots Knoppix and it sits for a moment?

allen
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Probably because the virtualbox OSE is installed. You can not use it anyway since it is a guest and it does play with things.
allendick

Post by allendick »

Well, I am not sure what I did, but it seems I'm home free. GAs are installed and Knoppix is running.

How did I get here? Not too sure. I killed Knoppix a few times and resized the window on reboot (small) and one time it did not screw up, so I quickly turned off the wallpaper and loaded Synaptic. I found the Virtualbox entries and am currently removing them. I had made the window so small though that I had trouble finding the "Apply" button :(. Fortunately, the GAs had cut in and I found I could now continuously resize the display. The VB aps installed do not appear to be guest-related from their descriptions, but I won't be running VB in an O/S running in a VM anyhow and I am taking your advice and removing them.

Thanks!

Oh, yes. An afterthought: I remember now. I also did fiddle with the settings for Knoppix in VB while the VM was shut down previous to the successful startup. For one thing, I turned off 3D. I wonder if that was it?