Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Guest - Network Problems

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mroshaw
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows XP

Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Guest - Network Problems

Post by mroshaw »

Hi!

I've just updated one of my Windows 2008 R2 Server guests to Service Pack 1. On restart, the 'Bridged' and 'NAT' network configurations have stopped working - I'm unable to connect the machine to the Internet.

If I do a network diagnostic, it tells me that the network adapter has no valid IP configuration. Diagnostics is unable to resolve the issue - I can't resolve using IPCONFIG either. Other Windows 2008 (and 2003, Win 7 and XP) guests don't have problems, though I've yet to apply SP1 to any other 2008 or 7 guests.

I've turned off Windows Firewall just in case.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks!

mroshaw
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Guest - Network Problems

Post by Perryg »

While I did not see this issue myself when installing SP1, you can try to install VirtualBox again and select repair to see if the SP1 messed with the bindings.
Next thing to try is to remove the adapter in the guest reboot and add it back, again to see if the bindings were messed with. (note be sure to write down the MAC for the guest and if it changes put the original MAC back in) or you may be validating the guest again.
mroshaw
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows XP

Re: Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Guest - Network Problems

Post by mroshaw »

Thank you for the reply!

I removed the adapter, rebooted, added the adapter again, rebooted - same problem.

I've just added a 3rd network adapter, using different 'hardware' and that seems to have sorted it - thank you!