Solution for usb device attachment problem

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
stouto
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp

Solution for usb device attachment problem

Post by stouto »

Issue: Unable to attach external USB devices, such as a flash drive, for use on guest machines within VMWare Player 3 or Virtualbox Workstation.

I am using a Windows 7 host system with a Windows XP guest system. I am currently experiencing with both Virtualbox and VMWare. Below solution worked for me on both of these virtual machines. The solution was found of the web. (Taking a blog for a test drive Yellow Highlighter – MooreMN)

One resolution to the USB problem is to remove the USBFilter ”UpperFilters” entry from the registry on the host system..

4. Instructions for removing the usbfilter driver or “UpperFilters” entry from the Windows Registry:
-Select the ‘Start’ button, in the ‘search programs and files’ box, type ‘regedit.exe’
-Navigate the registry to this entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}.
In the right hand side, if the value “UpperFilters” exists, delete it.

5. Reboot the system so that Virtualbox or VMWare can access USB devices.

Good Luck! :)
Oda
stouto
Guest OSses: windows xp

Re: Solution for usb device attachment problem

Post by stouto »

The link for above solution and other ideas can be found at: [spam link deleted]
Oda
regine
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by regine »

I tried this solution. But in my case:
host: Windows 7 Home Edition 32-bit
guest: Windows XP Professional 32-bit
VirtualBox-3.2.10-66523-Win
HW Lenovo G555 - 3GB RAM with AMD

my "USB disk" or "USB flash memory data storage device" in host Win7 are permanently and repeatedly connected and disconnected. In guest Windows XP memories are not still connected.
When I restore “UpperFilters” all is OK in host Win7.
ehidle
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7, Linux, Solaris

Post by ehidle »

No joy for me on this solution. I get errors like this whenever I attempt to attach USB devices to guests:

The first time I try to attach a USB device, windows 7 looks for a driver for "Virtualbox USB," doesn't find it, and then gives these errors thereafter.
jh73
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.1, Linux Mint 10

Post by jh73 »

Thank you for posting this solution.

It fixed USB errors with a Windows host and Linux guest.

Host: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, AMD Athlon II 635
Guest: Linux Mint 10, 64 bit

I added a comment to a prior bug report and referenced this thread:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8514#comment:4

This solution is helpful for windows hosts as well, but since it is posted under windows guests it was hard to find. Perhaps it should be added to an FAQ, or at least cross-referenced under windows hosts as well. I'm new to the forum and don't know the protocol.
Solecs
Guest OSses: WIN XP pro, PC BSD 8.2, Ubuntu 10.0

Post by Solecs »

I know this is not my thread but what if the "Upperfilters" key doesn't exist? Would my USB drives still not be able to work?
cpachmayr
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by cpachmayr »

I have the same problem -- and there is no Upperfilters key in my registry --- previous versions of VBox worked with same OS and Guests.
Corsari

[SOLVED] Solution is a missed driver installation

Post by Corsari »

Hello
I've unpacked today virtualbox portable (google to find it)

I've done this to run an Windows Xp guest on an Windows 7 x64 virtualbox host.

Final goal: plug and make it usable again one Canon scanner model Canoscan 3200F

The portable solution will allow me to move my scanner around without dealing anymore with the drivers issue, as matter of facts the portable virtualbox is placed on my USB3.0 thumb drive together with the XP VDI.

Well, I've faced the problem they state in so many forums and blogs: no way to get the scanner recognized in the XP guest devices list.

Also on my windows 7, the upperfilter was not present, so that was not the solution.
Also in my case, the device was already unavailable/busy for a previous request.
Pluggin' and unpluggin the scanner at various stages was not a solution.

For a pure fortuity, my eyes dropped into the host (my windows 7) devices manager... well, there an interesting item "Virtualbox USB", was listed with the yellow icon with exclamation point : unrecognized device.

I've searched into the portable virtualbox tree for drivers and I've installed the drivers for that "Virtualbox USB".

That solved the issue.

As soon the drivers got installed, in the XP guest the "new hardware installation wizard" popped and since on that XP guest, I had previously installed the Canon softwares, the Canon Canoscan 3200F drivers got installed as well.

Tested and used :-), I got my scans!!. This is also a solution for the issue Canoscan 3200F windows 7/8/10 drivers and maybe other Canon scanners not supported in windows 7 and following releases.

Robert
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Portable VirtualBox is a 3rd party fork and may not be discussed on these forums. If people want to create a fork that's fine, but they also take over support obligations.