Webcam on guest shows unknown device

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mschneid
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Webcam on guest shows unknown device

Post by mschneid »

First, let me apologize, as I know this topic has come up before. I usually see it referenced to linux as host.

I have Windows 7 as host and Windows XP as guest. I need to access my webcam (Logitech V-UCR45) on the guest. It works fine on the host. As guest, it shows up on the USB as unknown. I have tried adding the XP driver to guest, but the device is not recognized. I have tried adding the unknown USB device. Sometimes it balks, sometimes it has a checkmark showing it's attached. If attached and I try to use the device, the webcam light comes on and stays on. The guest comes to a crawl, or freezes. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you in advance. Mark
dusty_fox
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 98

Re: Webcam on guest shows unknown device

Post by dusty_fox »

I get the same problem.

Logitech C200 webcam, linux host and linux guest, Virtualbox 3.2.6. It shows up as "unknown device" and when I try to enable it, it freezes virtualbox completely.
qwertzibuster
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXPProfessional32bit

Re: Webcam on guest shows unknown device

Post by qwertzibuster »

I too have the same problem. In my case it's the USB webcam Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 that is shown as "unknown device" under the guest WinXP32bit even though my host Ubuntu 10.04 64bit correctly identified the device as "Bus 002 Device 005: ID 046d:0990 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 9000" (terminal --> lsusb).

However, unlike in your cases, my system does not crash when accessing the device through the guest and I can work with the device without any problems. Still it would be nice if VirtualBox 3.2.8 would be able to identify this device correctly instead of declaring it an "unknown device"... :?

dusty_fox: have you tried to blacklist the device for your linux host system (ubuntu?) so that host and guest don't access the very same device at the same time? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389308)