/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
wildmanne39
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: vista

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup problem

Post by wildmanne39 »

Hi, can anyone tell me how to fix this problem every time I restart my computer I have to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup again. I am running ubuntu 9.10 as host with debian as guest. System has 7 gigs of ram, and 4 cpus. It is a hp desktop 64 bit system. ubuntu and debian are both 64 bit os also. Thanks for any help you can give.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup problem

Post by frank »

We have some of such reports but the cause is unknown. The problem is obviously that the kernel driver is not loaded during boot but I cannot reproduce this here.
wildmanne39

Post by wildmanne39 »

Hi, thank you for your reply, I will keep trying to figure this out and if I fix it, I will post how I did it.
dermalogica
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: None

Post by dermalogica »

Hi

I had this issue after a fresh install of ubuntu. I installed the VB then I updated ubuntu.

Before the update vb worked fine, however after the update, I got the error. The fix for me was to uninstall vb, then reinstall. vb now works fine again. Hope this helps you all.
wildmanne39

Post by wildmanne39 »

[quote="wildmanne39"]
Hi this issue is resolved by editing the /etc/modules file and add vboxdrv save and reboot in my case, I hope this helps some one else. Thanks to everyone that offered help to me.
xanhast
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu, Little Blue Linux

Post by xanhast »

I just had a similar issue with a different cause/solution. Might help someone who comes across this thread.

I think during an update dpkg renamed /etc/init.d/vboxdrv to /etc/init.d/vboxdrv.dpkg-bak, reinstalling vbox did not add /etc/init.d/vboxdrv so when I ran "/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" nothing would happen. Renaming it back or just running the new name will work fine, just threw me a bit :)
miros84
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
Guest OSses: windows

Post by miros84 »

I just have the same problem, and it work for me.
NiGhtMarEs0nWaxx

Post by NiGhtMarEs0nWaxx »

ok i had the same problem, it turned out for me that it was a startup script i was running. the init.d directory as you know is just a place to hold all the startup scripts, rc0.d - rc5.d contains symbolic links for the specified runtime to the scripts in init.d, the problem with these scripts is the initialize one after the other, if one script is in an infinite loop and never ceases then that will interfere with the loading process of scripts that are suppose to follow. the virtualbox script was the 4th from the end to be initialised, so any script with a problem beforehand will interfere with that process. it explains why you have to manually run the script and it works.

example, i had a script that i used to send a wakeonlan packet to my network attached storage, i set it on a loop using a 'for' loop, wait 1 minute then execute again.

Hope this helps. :)