IE Application Compatibility VPC Image + Activation Issues

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
alanburke
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: MS WinXP

IE Application Compatibility VPC Image + Activation Issues

Post by alanburke »

Hi all,

Working in Ubuntu as Host, and up to now, using an image from MS from
Internet Explorer Application Compatibility VPC Image
http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/deta ... laylang=en
with no issues.
Virtualbox software is 3.0.4 r50677

After I learned to extract the vhd from the .exe file provdied [use unrar],
and got around the lack of network driver [install it manually],
I'm still faced with one last obstacle.

The image requires activation, and I can't even login without activation.
While it connection to the activation server, it seems to return an error, because then it asks for a product key.

I never had these issues until now - it does seems that this is a new vhd image, its valid until January 2010.

Has anybody else encountered this issue, and is there any known resolution?

Regards
Alan
cheeaun
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu

Re: IE Application Compatibility VPC Image + Activation Issues

Post by cheeaun »

I'm also having this issue with the latest VPC images. And still finding for the solution though... :(
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Screw MS. I tried it for you, to see if I can activate it somehow, but it starts nagging about activation after I rebooted the OS 3 times. It's absurd. You get three days, and now suddenly a boot is a day.

I do know the reason for the activation. It's made for VPC, and VPC emulates other hardware than VB. Because of this, there are some big changes and XP barfs and starts crying, asking for it's mommy (MS in this case).

I can't even find the right words to describe how absurd this is. I can't even install the GA without getting a direct activation error. How did you manage to get the LAN drivers installed? All it does for me is bitch about the Windows install disc. I do have one, but it should not be needed since Windows 2000 (Windows 98 was the last one I used that needed it, never used ME).

Note: I've done a quick test, I know that you can possibly get drivers in the system using an ISO, but I didn't take the time to create one. Neither did I 'insert' an XP disc.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
unclaimedbaggage
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: XP

Post by unclaimedbaggage »

Another one here. As mentioned, the network adapter can be installed via ISO. Doesn't help much though, activation fails. :-/

Any workarounds much appreciated.
alanburke
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: MS WinXP

Post by alanburke »

Hmm - This is crazy.
Is there a Virtual PC forum anywhere where they may be having similar issues?

Alan
nezroy
Guest OSses: linux

Post by nezroy »

Same issue here, haven't figured out a work-around yet. "Me too" post so I can track the thread...
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I tried to install it in my copy of VPC and the validation fails there as well. Funny thing is the files that are missing that VBox install of XP wanted were not a problem in VPC. All I can think of is to call the phone number to register. Since I don't need this I did not call of course but if you want to use it you will need to call them.
pollofrito
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, VISTA

Post by pollofrito »

OK, I appreciate this isn't a VirtualBox issue, but I'm having exactly the same problem on VMFusion on my macbook pro.

Opening the Virtual machine with the new image produces a 'the hardware on this machine has changed significantly' (which it hasn't of course) and demands activation.

Being a good little soldier, I attempted to phone microsoft and get the damned thing activated only to be confronted with a total muppett who wouldn't listen to the fact that this was a genuine image from Microsoft that shouldn't need a product key or activation and kept demanding a product key from me.

I tried explaining to her that I don't have a product key but her only resort was to suggest I phone a premium rate support line. When I suggested that that was inappropriate for this situation, she hung up on me. Brilliant.

OK - so bottom line is I NEED to do some work today and as a web-developer I can't afford not to test in IE6/7/8 - I have to support this crap - so it looks like for all my good intentions, I'm having to resort to hacked copies of windows again and all the issues that go along with that.

Shocking display from MS. - Please if anyone finds a better answer, please let us all know!
pollofrito

Post by pollofrito »

Perryg wrote:I tried to install it in my copy of VPC and the validation fails there as well. Funny thing is the files that are missing that VBox install of XP wanted were not a problem in VPC. All I can think of is to call the phone number to register. Since I don't need this I did not call of course but if you want to use it you will need to call them.
Sorry for another post, just thought I would point out that calling them will have zero results. You WILL NEED a VALID PRODUCT LICENSE to activate. As I (nor anyone else I suspect) will be prepared to spend out for a product license on an image that will expire in 3 months, this isn't an option...
shapeshed
Guest OSses: XP, Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.04

Post by shapeshed »

Same for me.

Is there any way we could contact Microsoft? I'm not sure if this is an error in the creation of the image or a deliberate step. Looking at the VPC_EULA.txt maybe it is:
You may install and use one copy of the software on your device of which you are running a validly licensed copy of Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Virtual Server. You may not change or convert the virtual hard disk image from the VHD format.
VPC is no longer available for OSX so options are very limited.

All I want to do is test sites in IE6/IE7/IE8.
pollofrito

Post by pollofrito »

I have to admit I didn't see that in the EULA (who reads EULAs for products we use again and again and have used for 2 years or more).

If it is intentional then that annoys me even more. There's no way I'm going to use Windows day to day - the ONLY reason I'm using it is to test IE versions. So hey ho - they ain't getting any money out of me for licenses so they're not doing anyone any real favours or hardship except costing me time.

Shame there's no middle finger to M$ icon :lol:
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Hehe. I do remember that MS changed the XP license requirement with the introduction of SP3, where you no longer need a key in order to install Windows, the same as Vista has. You can always create your own install disc with nLite. You get a default XP with SP3 and IE6. I know IE8 cannot be added automatically, forgot about IE7. But, there are certain packages that can do that. Check the website I linked to. Here's for IE8 anyway: http://www.msfn.org/board/easily-integr ... 31416.html
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
thefsb
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by thefsb »

Perryg said above that the activation problems existed also with running the MS App Compat VHD images in Virtual PC.

Has anyone else confirmed this?

I've not been able to get a complete uncorrupted image onto my old, old windows laptop with VPC 2007 so I've failed to confirm it either way.
nezroy
Guest OSses: linux

Post by nezroy »

thefsb wrote:Perryg said above that the activation problems existed also with running the MS App Compat VHD images in Virtual PC.

Has anyone else confirmed this?

I've not been able to get a complete uncorrupted image onto my old, old windows laptop with VPC 2007 so I've failed to confirm it either way.
I have been able to run the latest VHD image just fine on Virtual PC 2007, so no, there does not appear to be a similar problem on Virtual PC.

I suspect Perryg used the same VHD for Virtual PC as he had already tried in VIrtualBox, meaning it had already tripped the activation flag, instead of using a new, original copy of the VHD.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Yup pretty close. I did unpack a new copy to use in VPC. I just chose the old one instead. Too many things going on. :mrgreen:
Next since I have it configured I want to try to see if I can't get the working one in VBox. I am just a glutton for punishment, I know.

Edit: Nope. Once it sees that you have it in VBox it triggers an auth. I might mess with it some more tomorrow but I don't see that it is going to get anywhere.