Patch for increasing maximum guest RAM size

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
Technologov
Volunteer

Re: Patch for increasing maximum guest RAM size

Post by Technologov »

HubTou, well, I think we have enough of an evidence to submit your patch to VirtualBox team ! (coupled with my test results)

Please remember that Qt4-GUI needs also be patched.

And Thanks for your efforts !

Go open a ticket on bugzilla or start discussion on vbox-dev mailing-list, and I will join it.

-Technologov
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

update: HubTou, since you are not available, I took the freedom and posted the mail in the mailing-list.
Come & discuss.
bird
Oracle Corporation

Post by bird »

Hi Guys,

This patch should work without much trouble I think. When rewriting the memory management a few years ago we did actually test it with the max set quite a bit higher than 48 GiB. IIRC the testing was limited by the host only having 192 GiB of memory, though I don't think we assigned and actually allocated much more than 128 GiB to a single VM.

Why didn't we set the max much higher then? Well, there was some performance issues which we didn't have time to deal with back then (we have a good idea where they are though). We'll get to it soon though, don't worry. In the mean time, by all means continue testing this patch and please report any problems you see (other than performance).

- bird

PS. Since we're lazily allocating the VM memory, you usually boot a VM with lots more memory assigned than what you have available on the host, however it will drain the host and eventually be suspended with a out-of-memory runtime error. So, don't assume it works until you see the VM really using all of it's memory.
Knut St. Osmundsen
Oracle Corporation
nikiwaibel
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: solaris, linux, win7, winxp

Post by nikiwaibel »

well -- if this was/is not a design problem/limitation -- what about activating it in the official release?

it could be made available only with VBoxManage; or some info could be shown, if set >16gbyte in the GUI -- if you think this is still kind of experimental. same/similar thing is happening already with the number of CPUs-slider, if CPUs-guest > CPUs-host.