64-bit guests crash on AMD Fusion E350

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MetalSubstance

64-bit guests crash on AMD Fusion E350

Post by MetalSubstance »

Before I describe the issue that I'm currently having, let me share some background on my hardware and VirtualBox version:

- Xubuntu 11.04 Linux (64-bit) as the host
- VirtualBox 4.0.8 with latest extpack installed
- VirtualBox installed from repositories based on the following line added to my /etc/sources.lst:

Code: Select all

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian natty contrib
- HP dm1z laptop that I purchased last month, that arrived last week
- AMD Fusion E350 processor (dual-core, 64-bit)
- 8 GB host memory, tested to be okay using memtest86+ 4.20
- SVM turned on in the BIOS, and available from the Linux host according to /proc/cpuinfo

The problem:

I get a crash every time I try to start a 64-bit operating system. I tried the installation media for Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 64-bit, and Xubuntu 11.04 64-bit. All of them crashed within a minute of starting up with varying errors, including different blue screens and kernel panics.

I am able to run 32-bit guests just fine, including several editions and distributions of Windows 7 and Linux that I tried. All of the guests function successfully with AMD virtualization turned on.

I tried taking the following steps in hope of alleviating the problem:
- Use various settings for available guest RAM: 512MB, 1024MB, 2048MB
- Turn Nested Paging off and back on again
- Change the chipset from PIIX3 to ICH9
- Disable the USB host controller

None of these steps made any difference.

How can I begin to diagnose what could be causing the problem? Is there a known issue with AMD SVM in VirtualBox 4.0.8? Could it be my processor or laptop hardware, or something in the BIOS that I'm missing? (The BIOS is HP's latest -- I downloaded the latest BIOS from HP's Web site and it's the same as what came with this machine from the factory.)

Running 64-bit guests using VirtualBox 4.0.8 on an older Intel Centrino laptop running Windows 7 works just fine.

Thanks in advance!
Virtual_WA
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian

Re: 64-bit guests crash on AMD Fusion E350

Post by Virtual_WA »

Hi,

it was reported this a few week ago in forum - but nor response :(
So I changed my "guest" to 32Bit - what a :evil: :x

Also in the windows section where is a complain about this ....

BR
MetalSubstance

Post by MetalSubstance »

It looks like this is a known problem: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8824

Is there anything else I can use on this computer for 64-bit guests until VirtualBox is caught up to support the E350 processor? Does kvm work?
Virtual_WA
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Debian

Post by Virtual_WA »

Thanks, this BUG report was new to me.
MetalSubstance

Post by MetalSubstance »

I just confirmed that kvm can successfully run 64-bit guests. Phew! I bought this laptop specifically for SVM and running 64-bit guests, and I thought that the issue was with my processor or BIOS. It turns out that the E350 is simply "too new" for current VirtualBox versions to handle when it comes to 64-bit guests, and might come with its own idiosyncrasies that VirtualBox does not yet handle. Now that this issue has the attention of the developers, I'll just patiently wait for a new VirtualBox version to come out that can handle the E350.

I'll try to remember to post an update in the "Discuss VirtualBox" thread once I can confirm that 64-bit guests work with my E350.
MetalSubstance

Post by MetalSubstance »

I am happy to report that VirtualBox 4.1.2 runs 64-bit guests like a champ on my laptop, which is based on the AMD Fusion E-350 processor. It even runs better on my Linux host than KVM did.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Good to hear. The changelog for 4.1.2 said that they had fixed the AMD Fusion bug, so its nice to hear that it does actually work well.
Bill