existing WinXP to .vdi

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
nixer
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, LTA (Linux Testing Area)

Re: existing WinXP to .vdi

Post by nixer »

Thanks for the tip dineshj! I will let you know how it goes.

Edit: I gave it a good try, or at least I thought I did, but it still would not work. Upon the first boot, it prompted me for a safe mode boot (XP guest) and would not progress past the mup.sys file.
symen
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Multiple

Post by symen »

I had this problem as well with my WinXP to VirtualBox migration. Following steps solved it for me though

- I had run the MigrateIDE tool before migrating.
- Before migrating, windows indicated it was using hal.dll for HW abstraction layer
After migration, system hung on mup.sys
- I changed system settings to enable IO APIC
Now system bluescreens
- I changed the storage controller from PIIX4 to ICH6
Now system booted fine
nixer
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
Guest OSses: XP, LTA (Linux Testing Area)

Post by nixer »

For a first post symen, it sure was a good one!
- I had run the MigrateIDE tool before migrating.
- Before migrating, windows indicated it was using hal.dll for HW abstraction layer
After migration, system hung on mup.sys
- I changed system settings to enable IO APIC
Now system bluescreens
- I changed the storage controller from PIIX4 to ICH6
This worked fine. Thank you very much!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

symen wrote:I changed the storage controller from PIIX4 to ICH6
Now system booted fine
Strange - the whole point of running MergeIDE (I presume this is what you meant by "MigrateIDE") is that it becomes more tolerant of different IDE controllers, so that last change should not have been necessary - and the PIIX4 default seems to work for all my XP guests. Still, this is something I'll look out for in future.
Tataich
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WindowsXP

Post by Tataich »

Successfully mounted one physical drive and one partition of other physical driver to the virtual machine.
Kubuntu 11.04 i386
VirtualBox 4.1.2
What I did:

Code: Select all

sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /home/user/.VirtualBox/sdc.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdc && sudo chown user /home/user/.VirtualBox/sdc.vmdk
RAW host disk access VMDK file /home/user/.VirtualBox/sdc.vmdk created successfully.
On attempt to add the file sdc.vmdk as hdd to virtual machine i have error:

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Machine
Interface:
IMachine {...}
Helped to add rights to the file and disk:

sudo chown user.user /home/user/.VirtualBox/sdc.vmdk
sudo chown user.user /dev/sdc
After that, the file is successfully mount to a virtual machine as a new hard drive and this time without mistakes.
I did the same thing with the partition on the second hard disk:

sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /home/user/.VirtualBox/sda5.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 5 && sudo chown user /home/user/.VirtualBox/sda5.vmdk
sudo chown user /home/user/.VirtualBox/sda5-pt.vmdk
sudo chown user.user /dev/sda
sudo chown user.user /dev/sda5
All is looking good, but here need to solve problem "why i dont have access to disks my user belongs to group 'disk'" :roll:
steve723

Post by steve723 »

Hello;
I am trying to axcess my Vista home 64bit drive in a VM under Kubuntu precise 12.04.1 64bit. I thought this might be a good place to get answers. Here is my attempt so far:

steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~/VirtuBox VMs$ VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /steve7233/'VirtualBox VMs'/'Windows Vista'.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda
VBoxManage: error: Cannot open the raw disk '/dev/sda': VERR_ACCESS_DENIED
VBoxManage: error: The raw disk vmdk file was not created
steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~/VirtualBox VMs$ sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /steve7233/'VirtualBox VMs'/'Windows Vista'.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda
^[[3~[sudo] password for steve7233: 
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for steve7233: 
VBoxManage: error: VMDK: could not create new file '/steve7233/VirtualBox VMs/Windows Vista.vmdk'
VBoxManage: error: Error code VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND at /home/vbox/vbox-4.2.0/src/VBox/Storage/VMDK.cpp(3488) in function int vmdkCreateRawImage(PVMDKIMAGE, PVBOXHDDRAW, uint64_t)
VBoxManage: error: Cannot create the raw disk VMDK: VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
VBoxManage: error: The raw disk vmdk file was not created
steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~/VirtualBox VMs$
What does VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND mean?

using VB 4.2.0 r80737 64bit, Computer = Hp Pavilion dv6 1030us Entertainment Notebook PC 4G RAM. Thanks. :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Why did you decide to post in this thread? What part of your problem sounds like it belongs in a discussion "existing WinXP to .vdi"? Start a new topic if you can't find one that fits.

Although I see the previous message (which also raised the dead) was just as off-topic.
steve723

Post by steve723 »

mpack wrote:Why did you decide to post in this thread? What part of your problem sounds like it belongs in a discussion "existing WinXP to .vdi"? Start a new topic if you can't find one that fits.

Although I see the previous message (which also raised the dead) was just as off-topic.
Sorry if you disagree. My thinking was: since this is talking about turning an xp drive into a vdi and then mounting to a vm, then i thought it was probably close enough to what i wanted to do. Mount my vista drive as a vm. I did a search before posting a new thread and this looked like a good place to post to. Most forums don't want you to post new threads without searching first.